My turn!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My turn to post here, at last! :D So I was visiting all the motorcycle repair shops trying to score a free tire to go with my 5 euro rim for the Dirty Fork, right? I went to this guy whose shop is a dark, sleazy shed full of crap in the middle of nowhere, some 4 miles from where I live. "Hey man, got an used 18 inch tire you don't want?" - "Yeah sure, it's in this dark small room full of crap up to the ceiling".

He goes into the dark room and starts throwing tires out. After a few minutes, he says "I know I've got one around here, come back Friday and you can have it". I peek inside and see the faint outline of a 20 inch folding bike. "You wouldn't happen to want to get rid of that old bike, would you?" - "Well, actually yes" - "Ok... Got any more strange bikes?" - "Yeah, I have a Dutch style bike with coaster brake around. I'll pull them out and you'll see them on Friday".

Today is Friday! This is what I hauled home for the price of one quality mountain bike tire:

"Auto Mini" folding bike, made in Austria. It's got a Shimano 3-speed hub (amazingly rare here), not coaster. Needs a new stem. Nice aluminum rack. The chain guard is crome, hard to see on the pic.

dsc02736zb5.jpg

Dutch style mens bike with Shimano coaster brake. Schwinn style kick-stand and US style BB ( both amazingly rare here). No brand visible but the "Reflex" tires say "made in Sweden". :shock: They're a long way from home...

dsc02735bm3.jpg

Well, they're not cooll Elgins or JCHiggins or anything like that, but they look like super fun pieces of machinery. I scored, hooray! :mrgreen:

Hugo

Great news Hugo...you don't even have to use the code. Bikes are like sex...ya never know where your gonna find it. :mrgreen:

Cool chain guard on the Dutchy.

I hereby declare The Code to be obsolete! Let no man or woman be afraid to announce to the world loudly their cool barn /dump/ curb finds! Let them not be afraid to use the expressions "just found this at " or "for 5 bucks" next to a picture of a totally cool bike! For it is universally clear that 22 grown men in shorts running after a ball is not a thoroughly enjoyable experience. I have spoken.

Hugo

Nice score, now you can build a folding boardtracker rat :) It looks like somebody already turned the bars upside down for ya.
And let the rejoicing commence for the code is dead. By the way what the heck is "The Code" :?: :?:

Hugo said:
Dutch style mens bike with Shimano coaster brake. Schwinn style kick-stand and US style BB ( both amazingly rare here). No brand visible but the "Reflex" tires say "made in Sweden". :shock: They're a long way from home...
Hugo

Kinda of looks like my DBS bike that was made in Norway (cant figure out the BB). Nice find. Welding some bars like October just did and you will have an Elgin look alike.
0913071754.jpg

2manybikes said:
Nice score, now you can build a folding boardtracker rat :) It looks like somebody already turned the bars upside down for ya.
And let the rejoicing commence for the code is dead. By the way what the heck is "The Code" :?: :?:

Mark - here is the link for the "Code". What started as Hugo' s frustration turned into an inside joke. Probably this needs a sticky for the Best of Ratrodbikes conversations.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3536

Nice score Hugo!Did you say they cost you an arm and leg?How did you fit both of them into your tiny car?LOL :wink:
L8 EM

TheDuke said:
How did you fit both of them into your tiny car?LOL :wink:
L8 EM

good thing you didnt have that "chick magnet" option, there wouldnt have been enough room for the chicks AND the bikes :mrgreen:

last i heard chicks dig folding bikes !! :lol:

Thanks guys. Ei, guess what! The mudguards on the folding bike are aluminum! :shock: Never saw anything like that before, it's a really cute bike. I'm cleaning it up as best as I can to give to a friend. He says it's for his wife but I don't think so... :p I found a date on the generator, "4 - 1973".

The Dutch bike also has an aluminum chainguard, cool. I've ridden it on the drive way and tomorrow morning it will cruise the boardwalk. 8) The tires are 622mm ones, wich Sheldon describes as "North European". Since the tires are made in Sweden, maybe the thing is nordic after all? VicXsaN, are you there?

There is a strange grease nipple / tire valve mutant attachment on the back of the head tube that I can't figure out. What's it for? Can anyone help me out? Cman, on your Norway bike photo it kind of looks like your bike has a similar nipple. Does it?

dsc02772ai0.jpg

The Fiat has colapsible back seats, and I removed the front wheel from the big bike. The folding bike... well, it folds. So everything fitted in there easy-peasy. And what are these chicks you speak of and where can I buy some? Is there like a website or something? :)

Hugo

well, by looking at the front sprocket, I'd say it's a MCB, "Monark Crescent Bolagen" bicycle, so it's probarbly a Crescent or a Monark, because I have one exactly thesame on my "Musclebike"... And the greasenipple thingy i believe is used as a groundingpoint for the lights, it is on the bikes i've seen :p I don't know if it's used for greasing. If you look inside the rear fender, under the folding at the edge (if there is one), there probarbly will be a wire for the rear light. The handlebarpost looks similar to the one I have on my "Musclebike" and it's just held intoplace with the seatclamp looking thingie above the headtube! I'm not so well informed on bicycles in this matter, but after seeing this and comparing to mine, that was what I could say! :D hope it gives some enlightment!

EDIT:
Oh! and it really looks like it has been repainted, and the blu color beneith really looks like a MCB color! Also the forks look like the ones on my "Musclebike", just bigger! :D

Back