My Triple for the Grandkids!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is three Western Fliers that I customized into a triple tandem. The bike steers from all three seats and features a balanced front caliper brake that has controls on all handlebars. Rear brake is a coaster hub.

1484926213_8d0b116d24_o.jpg

A beautiful feat of engineering excellence. I am shamed....

That Sir is way too Cool!

(as a side note) I remember The Three Stooges rode a triple in an episode or two back in the '30's

Not nearly as nice and detailed as yours tho.

No idea you all would think it was cool!

Thanks for the comments - there is no custom bike community to speak of here in Wisconsin, so your compliments really mean a lot to me. A little more about the bike. I have about a year into building it and working out all of the engineering. The frames are Western Flyer - the front two are 21" and the back is a cut-down 24". The seat posts and handlebar goosenecks are also cut down to maintain the low profile. Each frame was cut and sectioned leaving the rear down tubes intact so they could be heated and bent to form the cantilever for the frame behind. The rear section was doubled for extra support. The front forks were modified to look like an old board track motorcycle racer and to create extra strength. Under the frame is a floating truss to keep it from collapsing in the middle. I've ridden the bike with two adult friends without any frame flex. As for the wheels, I think they are Schwinn but I'm not 100% sure. I got them at a swap meet and they were originally painted bright orange. They're cast aluminum and the rear has a coaster hub. The front brake is controlled by a cable that goes to an equalizer of my own design on the right side of the bike. The equalizer makes it possible for the brake to be applied from any of the three seat positions. Recently I found out that tandem racers use a similar idea. Oh well - nothing like reinventing the wheel. When I get a chance I'll post some more recent photos of the bike being ridden and some additional details I've added. Here's a couple more pictures:
1514394757_29a1d08eb2_o.jpg

1515250698_c9cd05d520_o.jpg

Thanks to all of you for the compliments! I'm hoping to find some victims (I mean volunteers) to ride it in the Bristol, RI 4th of July Parade this year - we'll see.....

Larry

Back