My Schwinn Speedster

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not much to write home about at the moment, but she's all mine. Been pining for a camelback Schwinn ever since I was smitten by CRASH's Monster Ray--now I own one, too. With a serial of M225307 and a build date of 14 Dec 62, it's a pretty basic single speed red band with good bones and a few missing parts. It's perfect for MY needs, though, and may show up during BOTEN, if I'm able to suppress my enthusiasm for the next two months.

Picked it up last Saturday afternoon during the great Baltimore area snow squall. What an adventure that turned out to be. Survived, though, and now I don't just have a new bike but I have stories to go with it.

Copy%20of%20cl_zpsdjgglp36.jpg

Indeed it is. Although I have not yet carefully measured, I have every reason to expect that these are the original S-5 rims (597mm BSD).

Hot. I reckon you can fit other sizes in there, too, if you wish. I know my Collegiate frame took 597s originally, but it has some serious real estate for the rubber between those stays. I'm pretty sure your frame's rear triangle is pretty much identical to mine.

I've always wanted one of these, the frame is probably too small for me, but the lines just look so right.

Yes...my vision does include some meatier paws. I'll probably re-lace these rugged hoops just to have, but 597 tire selection is sparse. Heading to the local co-op on Sunday to pick up half a Town & Country as a donor bike--I'll see what other trappings they might be able to contribute.

Nice find. With the rear hand brake, I would suspect it was a 3 speed when new. The tires should verify S-5 wheels.

I wish it were that simple, but the existing rubber offers no real clues beyond the 26 x 1 3/8 marking--no ISO...no S-6...no EA-1. With any luck, a pair of alloys with an IGH hub will eventually replace them, and I'll substitute an Odyssey Pitbull for that wimpy brake I have now.

i bet they're 597s...and even if they've been replaced with 590s at some point, if that were my bike, i'd roll it on some 559s with the fattest rubber that clears the frame....

Giving it the musclebike treatment?

Undoubtedly, you and I are on the same wavelength. The direction of the build will depend on what parts I can scrounge at the co-op. Those guys are infatuated with road bikes and often discard some of the grooviest stuff.

I have a 63 Speedster which is pretty much complete. In decent shape.
I was going to give it the BMX treatment. But I have a few other projects ahead of it. So going to move it out. If you need anything from it LMK.

Latest posts

Back