My Onex build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a couple years of riding my 26 inch Cranbrook around and feeling like I was riding a clown bike I finally decided to break down and jump on the Big Bike bandwagon and pick up one of the new 29 inch bikes. The Onex (Onyx??) in black spoke to me after a short ride down the Isle at WalMart I decided I had to have it. I didn't see the scratches some had commented on, on the handlebars overall the bike looked pretty good (except the fenders being tweaked funny and the handlebars being an inch off to one side) I did notice the picture with the bike showed a water bottle carrier and the bike had the screws but no carrier so I asked an employee that wandered by and she called up the builder, who I asked if it might be in the back. He said that they didn't keep any boxes or anything but that he could take some $ off on it since it was missing (Now we're talking). I asked him what the carriers cost about and he thought around $10 so he offered to take 10% (or $15) off I was pretty pleased with that so I scored it for $135.

Couldn't wait to get home and start working on it but had a scout meeting to do and had to get the boys to bed before I could get out to the shop and tear into it. I stripped all the stickers off by hand didn't need a razor or anything. Although I'm gonna go rub it down with some GooBGone next chance I get as there are a couple sticky spots. Next I removed all the reflectors, worked over the fenders to square them up better and shifted the handlebars back center where they should be. I also when through and checked all the fasteners to make sure they were tight. When I get a chance I'm gonna tear into the crank and grease everything up well as I've heard the horror stories. Next I got some scrap foam out and started hacking on it to build a pattern to build the tank I want to build. At this point it fills the whole space, it may end up much smaller but got that far and decided I needed to head towards bed, then ended up here looking at bikes.. Being a Chevy Truck guy I want to tie the bike into that some with some parts off old Chevy trucks.
I've got a grill emblem shield off a 41 Chevy truck that I plan on putting on the headstock.
47 Chevy Thriftmaster emblem that I plan on putting on the chain guard.
53 Chevy truck tail light that I plan on mounting to the back of a rack on the back, had planned on using one I had from my old mountain bike but it doesn't fit or suit the style so I need to do some looking for that.
Up front I had planned on using a 50's spotlight I have and may go back to that but considering what it cost, I'm leaning towards modifying a 6 inch spot light from Harbor Freight they sell for 10 bucks instead.

I plan on building some kind of tank to house a 12 Volt Gel Cell battery, switch for the lights and maybe a truck horn.

I like the mock up I did of a full tank (Ignore the Pink) and tomorrow I'll make another smaller one and see what I think. What I'd like to do is transfer whatever tank design I come up with in Foam to wood and hammer form the pieces out of AL but I'm not totally sure on that either.

For now I'm just happy to have all the stickers off and have a bike that fits me, look forward to riding with my sons if it's not raining tomorrow.

Pictures of my progress so far are here - https://plus.google.com/photos/110211271593344394189/albums/5721853131985350177

MONGO

Figured now that I was awake I'd ad some Inline pictures to liven up the thread a little..
Just rolled in...
IMAG0267.jpg

After Sticker and Reflector removal... Also a couple strips of black electrical tape over the white lettering on the seat helps a bit till I swap to another seat.
IMAG0277.jpg

With the Mock up Pink Foam Tank...
IMAG0271.jpg

looking good so far. I started to buy one of these bikes.. but was drivin a camery so it did not work out,
and after driving to tulsa in the camery and buying a spaceliner there learned my lesson about stuffing bikes
into the car :lol:

Back