my old school bmx build(updated 8/13)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
got this 99 or 2000 dyno compe off a board member. trying to use as many old school GT parts as possible. started like this:
DSCN0090.jpg

to this so far...
001-12.jpg

002-8.jpg

003-10.jpg

004-11.jpg

refurbed diamond back stem. it was terrible looking before...
007-5.jpg

no-name blue anno seat clamp
008-5.jpg

quick mock-up
009-4.jpg

GT layback seatpost
010-3.jpg

thats all so far. waiting on a bunch more parts in the mail.

Re: my old school bmx build

thanks man!! i'm pretty amped to get it together and shred on it! got a bunch of parts comin in mail for it yet. white tires or blue tires, what are your thoughts?

I think white tires, seat and pads would look good. Unless you could find blue tires to match the paint. if the tires are off color it might not look factory if you know what i mean.

Lookin' good. It inspires me to do something with the Dyno Air I found recently. I always wanted the Comp when I was in Jr. High. A friend of mine had one--It was blue with some acid green, I think it had white mag wheels. I got to ride it a couple times. Spent a lot of time in the bike shop staring at them.

sprucemoose said:
Lookin' good. It inspires me to do something with the Dyno Air I found recently. I always wanted the Comp when I was in Jr. High. A friend of mine had one--It was blue with some acid green, I think it had white mag wheels. I got to ride it a couple times. Spent a lot of time in the bike shop staring at them.
you and me both bro! i always had crappy off-brand bikes as a kid. now i have the money, i can make up for lost time!!! hahaha!!!

Walker said:
I think white tires, seat and pads would look good. Unless you could find blue tires to match the paint. if the tires are off color it might not look factory if you know what i mean.
those were kinda my thoughts too. i found old school style AME grips in baby blue, so i'm thinkin them, white gumwall freestyle type tires and this seat that i'm bidding on , on ebay:
BWYEPsQBGkKGrHgoH-EQEjlLlbinfBKKE-L.jpg

any idea of what type of brakes went on this thing? thats gonna be the next hurdle! been outta the bmx game for 20 some years!! haha

Well, that dyno had a crustified Odyeesy rollercam in the rear and a sidepull in the front. I've got some NOS Odyssey sidepulls on e-bay now or i can sell you one from my stock. sliver or black?

you only have fronts huh? is the mount type on the rear of that dyno a 990?

that seat is great.

atomicclutch said:
you only have fronts huh? is the mount type on the rear of that dyno a 990?

I'ev only got the sidepulls that are new, they work front or rear but that bike has post mounts that will only accept a rollercam. I think i still have it but it isn't pretty, rusty bolts, oxidized aluminum, petrified pads etc.

Go with a white Dominator seat.That seat screams mountain bike or road bike.Not so much freestyle.

bikejunkie said:
Go with a white Dominator seat.That seat screams mountain bike or road bike.Not so much freestyle.
i hear ya, but i already won it. plus those dominator seats sucked to ride on back then, i could only imagine what it'd be like with 30+yr old buns!! hahaha!!! also got a set of baby blue old school ame grips and ended up goin with these tires:
ti-50-whsn.jpg

still need to score a rear brake, chain, freewheel and a blue anno headset(gonna be tricky i think)
thanks for checkin' it out!-Atomic

Those tires look pretty cool!Just remember freestyle seats are not for sitting!HAHA.I have a Dominator style seat on my CW and they are actually pretty comfy.Im 39 and My cheeks approve!HAHA!!The plaid pattern should look pretty nice.Make sure post completed pics.Love me some bmx.

bikejunkie said:
Those tires look pretty cool!Just remember freestyle seats are not for sitting!HAHA.I have a Dominator style seat on my CW and they are actually pretty comfy.Im 39 and My cheeks approve!HAHA!!The plaid pattern should look pretty nice.Make sure post completed pics.Love me some bmx.
haha!!! i can dig it. i pretty much got everything ordered. just waiting for it all to get here!! i will for sure get pics up. can wait to shred on this thing!!!

cranks and wheels came today!!! tires came yesterday. i may have to take a trip to get a bike for a buddy tonight, if not, then i will try and make some progress on this badboy! stay tuned!!!

awesome dude!! thanks a ton! hopefully i can ride this thing by the weekend. this is the best part of the build, its like christmas!!! hahaha!!!

Back