My old building closing in Detroit

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently was invited to a closing ceramony of the old building that I worked in for eleven years. Unfortunately the building was a troubled asset that had to be given up in bankruptsy. This is something that is going on around our great country more and more often. I was not ready for what I saw, the emptiness, this is not how I remembered this great old site. Here is a picture of how it was when I left six years ago.
JTE_Aerial_rev.jpg
Now she sits empty and dark, so quiet it was erry. The turnstiles shut off, parking lots empty, not a soul around.
lastdaysofJTE5.jpg
lastdaysofJTE1.jpg
lastdaysofJTE6.jpg

So many great products were born from this building on the west side of Detroit. It really sucks that now my last memories of this place will be its deserted appearance. So many lives were affected by and changed by the things that went on here. After all this was Jeeps engineering headquarters for many years as well as Kelvinator (refridgerators). During WW2 helicopters were shipped in here by train and had thier propellors installed on this site and were flown out of these yards to do service all over the world. Such a sad ending to a great building, farwell JTE. Here are a few parting shots of the neighborhood as I was leaving.
lastdaysofJTE7.jpg
ghetto2.jpg

here was some kind of altercation going on with some bicycles. There was a car stuffed with bikes behind the police cruizer,I dont know what they were doing.
ghetto1.jpg

crackedpiston said:
That is terrible. Without the big employers, how is any town meant to survive??? Oh yeah, we all get jobs in finance right??? :?

No silly...you'll be working for the government soon. :cry:

Back