My new...old bike.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ACD

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the one I picked from my friends barn as my first project. New enough to use pretty standard parts, old enough to be cool. I can't find anything quite like this Columbia online yet. Even on Dave's and Sheldon's site. We're guessing early 60's but not sure. The patina is pretty nice.... kind of like it as is.. may do the rims .

COLRGT.jpg

COLLFT.jpg

As always happens on the way back from getting the Columbia I passed a yard sale. I saw some bikes so I pulled over and walked back. Found this. An Astra Easy Fold (French) made by Motobecane. In all original condition save for it's missing the bolt that holds it together when in use... easy fabrication. I liked it, especially when I saw the price... $5 (five) pretty good deal I think. It's a 3-spd 20" wheels and pretty clean. A folding rat maybe???

ASTRHT.jpg

ASTLFT.jpg

Thanks for looking.

sool bikes on both acounts, i woulda paid $5 for the tires alone, let alone a folder !!!, havent seen that tank before either on a columbia ???

That columbia is pretty cool! All I can turn up in my town is old mountain bikes.

Dennis

Dennis keep looking they are out there! Sent a pic of this to my dad asking if he had one as a kid. He said no he never had his own bike as a kid. He had to borrow his Aunt's 1953 JC Higgins (Sears) Girls Bike. I never knew that and now I feel bad that my dad never had his own bike as a kid.

Aaron

Seriously? $200? Now I gotta go check Ebay because $200 would go a long way toward a couple other bikes my friend has that are much more rare. I am quite taken with a pre war "Crescent" Balloon Tire he has.

Aaron

According to the charts... my Columbia Vin# F046838 is a 41... No way this bike is a 41. In 1959 you have serial #'s that start with E and then in 60 they jump to H. I found a picture of a womens 1961 Columbia Special that had this style tank on it. I'll recheck the serial # but it's definately an odd bike. I can't find any other Columbia's with the straight tube under the tank. Any one got any ideas?

Aaron

I just love those straight bar frames, and that patina makes it look great. Yours is my favorite kind: the seat stays become one above the fender with a perfect round bend, while the top tube starts there and goes to the front, being penetrated by the seat tube. Sweet!

Hugo

Back