My new Murray

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just picked this bike up this weekend. I don't know the year, but it can't be newer than '57 becasue that is what the Fairbanks, AK bicycle license tag on it said... The paint is all there, just very oxidized. Underneath the bikelock that no one knows the combo to, the original shine is still there. It's a beautiful metalic copperish coller. The bike is very complete, just a blown out rear tire. I wanna keep in as original(including paint) as I can. One of my main concerns is polishing up the paint without polishing off the white paint... Any suggestions/ideas for keeping the paint original without losing the striping/detail? I like this bike a lot already... :)
Here's the bike
2821179741_2135069565_b.jpg

Here's a detail of the fork striping
2822018158_e9b46d1298_b.jpg

a detail of the headstock.
2822018430_c7a1165ee4_b.jpg

And a detail of the chainguard. It reminds me of a sillouette of an airplane kinda...
2821180675_f660cd8763_b.jpg

I think the striping and headstick are all stencils. I think. They don't seem like decals...
Any clues/ideas would be helpful...

Great Bike. I love the chainguard on that!!!

A suspect the white is indeed paint, not a sticker. Throw on some new tires and go for a ride

Dan

Thanks! Anyone know a good source for large balloon style tires? I want all black, not whitewalls, Some vintagey goodyears or something like the carlisles that are on it would be cool...

that's a beauty. i had a '65 Murray middleweight with a tank that had the same stenciling on the fork. I like that logo.

Cool find. Don't wax the white detailing. Did the lock come with it. I found a lock like that and spent about 30 mins figuring out the combo.

cman said:
Cool find. Don't wax the white detailing. Did the lock come with it. I found a lock like that and spent about 30 mins figuring out the combo.
What kind of wax should I use or not use? yeah the lock came with it... I may try to figure it out... or else I'll cut it off...

Actually I would just leave it, no wax. As for the lock, they are cool accessories for a rat. My combo took about a 30 mins and is "3-5-2". You wou

Dude that is sweet! Keep us updated on progress. Sorry can't help on shining up the paint without hosing it at the same time.

Will do. I picked this up this weekend while I was in Oregon down at the in-laws... I was stoked on when I saw the ad like 3 weeks ago but couldn't make it down there then. Then it was back this weekend, so I guess it was meant to be. And then when I pulled into the driveway, I was like, whoa. The guy was a little busy and he was like there's the bike help yourself. By the time he was freed up, I had it strapped to the back of my car. He was suprised I didn't have any questions or anything for him. Then he asked me what my plans were... I had originally intended to rat it, but after lookin it over, I decided this one is gonna stay as original as possible... He was happy to hear that. His uncle bought it for transportaion across the air base in Fairbanks, AK where he was stationed, and had to have it licensed back in '57. Technically I'm the 2nd owner. His uncle gave it to him to sell. He was glad it was going to someone who will tak care of it. So I'm gonna do my best...

Back