my new big box bike horror story

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bought this from ** cough** cough** walmart ..... and thier assemblers really messed it up - the head tube bearing were dry as a bone and dammaged due to being installed wrong , as were the crank bearings - had to rebuild a new bike before i could ride it - walmart said " oh well" and hung up on me ..... never again boys ...

here she is

004_zpsdfbd24b7.jpg

huffy millenial 29'er .... i like the bike , but i must say there are a few things that scream out cheap bike... LoL

Your Walmart problem is on every bike they sell. They do not assemble the whole bike, just the handle bars and peddles and seat. The grease problem comes right from the factory. IF you buy a Walmart or any box store bike Plan on greasing all the bearings.

Nice huffy. I just had to repair to Walmart bikes tonight that had been bought a few years ago and couldnt be rode because they was so screwed up from the store. One even still has the wheel card on it. Nothing like having 2 new bikes sitting in the garage and cant ride them.

Lack of grease, this is not just a Wallyland or chainstore bike problem!
Bike shop quality bikes come lacking grease!
I made my guys, grease bearings and oil or grease cables, on all bikes, especially new bikes!
That is, if they wanted paid for the work....

Opinion: Clean the Huffy, don't repaint. It will look more interesting and there's probably a decent patina under the rust. As always, I cold be wrong.

Sorry to say after working at a legit bicycle shop for a bit, even something with a decent name on the badge, I would tare it down and regrease everything. That way you know its done right. Its something we done with everybike that we unboxed,some were better than others.

Dan's Competition is actually my local bike shop and one of their mechanics has told me the same thing Gold Street Customs mentioned above more than once. They have to take all their bikes apart, including the high end units, to grease and adjust everything. He said even the bikes made in Taiwan. Apparently it's not just a China issue. I doubt they do that with the bikes they sell via online and catalog. I just assumed he meant they do that on the bikes they sell via their brick and mortar stores.

Last edited:
There are many discussions on the CABE in the Restoration Tip section regarding the use of Oxalic Acid and Evaporust baths for rust removal.

If we are talking about reviving the 1961 Huffy:
One method would be to GENTLY use 0000 steel wool and WD40 (brass wool if you can find it). Be very careful as you approach the pin striping, but try to get as close to it as possible. I've found that Turtle Wax Chrome Polish and Rust Remover works well for cleaning the striping with minimal paint loss when applied gently with a soft rag. Always test these methods in a hidden area first. Once clean apply automotive paste wax. I've also heard that Kiwi Neutral Shoe Wax (work only a 6" X 6" area at a time) or Pledge Furniture Polish are good substitutes for the automotive paste wax, but I haven't tried them, so I can't vouch for them.

Last edited:
well- returned that piece of junk in the first post to walmart - had too many problems ... used the credit to buy tools and tires for my 61 huffy - general statement follows- F chinese huffy product

bought mostly sockets, and such , and all stanley - an ok brand - not the best but will do for a home shop

- i did buy the bell brand pedal tool , a set of very sturdy tire levers, a tri-allen wrench , and a set of tires mentioned above

Last edited:
The Bell tire levers that come in a pack of two by themselves are good.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Bell-Persuader-200-Tire-Lever-Set-of-2/24471184

I have two sets of them I purchased via their website last year for well under a $1 for each set, then picked them up in store. In store price is a lot higher and they only show available in store with no price on their website now, and have been that way for quite some time now. Therefore I believe the .50 or .75 cents I paid for each set was a online error.:grin: They're thick and well molded but a tad short. Online I've read that the Bell tire levers that come in their Bicycle tire repair kit are awful. If that's the case they aren't the same levers as the model 200's that come in the two packs.

The only other Walmart bike tool I have is the Bell chain repair kit.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Bell-Bicycle-Chain-Repair-Kit/17619572

I haven't used mine but I knew from members experiences here and on other sites that they're poor quality and break easy. I bought mine more for the two master links it comes with than the tool.o_O

those are indeed the tire levers i purchased - the pedal wrench i bought is basic but functions flawlessly - was kinda hoping they would have a chain whip but thats wishful thinking

the only expensive item ive purchased so far in the tool area was my park stand .....

Back