My neighbor's finds - Schwinn and 2 German bikes

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My neighbor, John, is into bikes now and spends his weekends hitting the local garage and estate sales looking for new finds.

He cleans them up and resells them to make a few extra dollars - and does pretty good at finding a supply of bikes and getting them sold too.

As with all of us, he sometimes runs across unusual finds and those end up in his collection.

Recently he found a skip tooth bike - Schwinn, I think, and also a couple of German made bikes - mens and ladies. So I grabbed a few shots of them today and thought I would post them and see who could tell him something about them.

The skip tooth was being sold by a guy in his 70's who said he had the bike forever. I'm thinking it's a Schwinn because of the heart sprocket. It looks just like the Schwinn DX that Uncle Stretch just redid - but this one has a built in kickstand where US's didn't. The frame design, truss rods, etc., look the same, though.

So here are some shots of the skip tooth.

IMG_2235.jpg

IMG_2237.jpg

IMG_2238.jpg

IMG_2241.jpg

IMG_2242.jpg

IMG_2239.jpg

IMG_2240.jpg

It had this hole in one of the rear stays - that may just be a rust hole. Nothing else on the frame like it, though, so it was a little unusual.

IMG_2257.jpg

Here are some shots of the German bikes. They had some unusual items on them. Probably the most unusual was a mechanical hand brake that controlled a rod that ran through the front fender and pushed a metal tab with a rubber pad attached and rubbed on the front tire tread. I'm assuming that was extra stopping power to assist the rear coaster brakes. :lol:

The bikes also had fold out baskets on the rear of them. So when not needed they folded up flat against the bike but when you needed them they would fold out for carrying things.

The last unusual thing was a "lock" - which bolted to the rear stay and allowed you to push a flat rod out into the rear spokes. I'm assuming that would keep someone from riding away on the bike since it would trash the rear wheel. However, that wouldn't stop them from picking the entire bike up and carrying it away. :lol: :lol:

So here are some shots of those two bikes.

IMG_2243.jpg

IMG_2244.jpg

IMG_2245.jpg

Mechanical brake lever.

IMG_2246.jpg

Brake pad that rubbed the front tire.

IMG_2247.jpg

IMG_2248.jpg

IMG_2249.jpg

Here's a shot of the "locks". :lol:

IMG_2250.jpg

Basket folded up.

IMG_2252.jpg

Basket folded out.

IMG_2251.jpg

IMG_2253.jpg

IMG_2255.jpg

IMG_2256.jpg

Re: My neighbor's finds

The Schwinn is probably a 46-50 DX, they pretty much all had welded kickstands after WWII. The skiptooth probably puts it earlier 46, 47-48.

Re: My neighbor's finds

Thanks, Skoda. My neighbor will be watching the post so he should see your reply.

Any of you German members know anything about the two old German made bikes? It would be interesting to hear about them if anyone knows anything. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back