My latest stuff

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My brother in law told me his land lord had several old bikes so i went to check them out. Turned out to be mostly old 3 speed diamond frames and a couple schwinn 10 speeds. His landlord thought they were worht much more than I did so I didn't get them. There was a 24'' girls spaceliner in great shape, all original parts. It even had a the headlight lens in good shape. i asked about it but it belonged to his wife's aunt and she wouldn't sell it. I was headed back to the car when I spotted a frame sticking up out of a pile of scrap metal. I went over to look at it and found another frame and a set a wheels. The first frame is a 26'' Murray built Flying O with some nice patina.

Murray-FlyingO1.jpg

Murray-FlyingO2.jpg

I have already started to work on this one. I will post the progress in the build section as soon as I get some updated pics.

the wheels were 26'' coaster brake and while cleaning them I found they were marked MO MFG which stands for Murray Ohio Manufacturing if I am correct. So I believe they are probaly the original wheels off this frame. They were a bit rusty also and the chrome is flaking off but they still seem solid. I will probably sand blast them and paint them. The back wheel is missing the guts so I will try to find a new hub.

Wheels2.jpg

Wheels1.jpg

The second frame is appears to be an early Huffy BMX. Don't know much about it yet but it looks cool to me. It has 26'' forks on it. They appear to be Huffy forks but I doubt it came out with 26'' forks originally. I was surprised that the plastic fenders are in pretty good shape considering it has been setting in a junk pile for several years.

HuffyBMX1.jpg

HuffyBMX2.jpg

A friend gave me this 24'' Monark girls frame that I am thinking about converting to a boys bike and stretching it a bit. I don't know what he was thinking with the forks.

Monark.jpg

My brother picked up a sweet pixie at a thrift store for $5. Everything seems to be original except the grips. the back tire was flat and when he removed it to patch it the tubes even say schwinn approved. He went back in a couple dyas after buying it and the lady said she had something for him. The guy who brought it in found the origianl training wheels and they gave them to him.

Bikes053.jpg

Bikes054.jpg

Bikes055.jpg

I guess I have a few more projects to keep me busy for a while.

Nice score on the Pixie for $5 !!
You might check the tires, mine had the OG superiors on it which are the same tire as the front of a Krate. If they are nice then they are worth a few bucks.

2manybikes said:
Nice score on the Pixie for $5 !!
You might check the tires, mine had the OG superiors on it which are the same tire as the front of a Krate. If they are nice then they are worth a few bucks.

Yeah the tires are OG superiors. Thanks for the tip.

roadmaster said:
nice finds. that murray got my eye. do you know what type the guttless coaster brake is? i'd guess bendix or suntour. good luck and looks like you got plenty of projects now.

Thanks. I think the Murray is my favorite of this bunch. I have no idea what the guttless coaster brake is. I looked through my wheel stash to see if i had another one like it thinking even if had fewer spokes I could use the guts to fix this one but couldn't find one.

one of our guys has the same early huffy bmx but in really good shape. actually, we watched him yank it from a dumpster and ride home with it over his shoulder. a-hole has a nose for old bikes..... im still trying to buy it off him ill bug him for a pic if it would help

AlleyScrappersBG said:
one of our guys has the same early huffy bmx but in really good shape. actually, we watched him yank it from a dumpster and ride home with it over his shoulder. a-hole has a nose for old bikes..... im still trying to buy it off him ill bug him for a pic if it would help

Yeah I would love to see a pic of one in good shape. I don't know what I want to do with this one yet. Probably eventually slap some wheels on it, grease the bearings and call it done. Well maybe do something with the seat.

tnt1 said:
if that wheel with no guts is a bendix I have what you need for it l.m.k. Tony

My brother has a bike with the same hub and it is a bendix.

Back