my latest project 1978 honda twinstar 185

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
well i posted this in the vintage motorcycle riders post.so i figured rather then clog that thread up with updates i would start my own thread on her for you vintage Honda riders out there.
she is a 1978 Honda twinstar. 185 cc engine 2 cylinder.
she looks fantastic and runs great once warmed up,but she is a tad cold blooded.
i had to use ethyr to get her fired up, partly because she needs a valve job done to her. and she has been sitting in the cold for a few weeks
she has a 6 volt electrical system. so the electric start doesn't really work as it should but it does work,just not enough power to fire her up.
once she has ran for a bit and she stalls she kicks on the first kick.
i took the seat off to get to the air cleaner there's an air intake under the seat,so i had to remove the seat to get the ethyr into the carb.
because it's so tiny i feel like fat guy on a little motorcycle.
this bike is beyond clean for a 1978.
even the frame has minimal surface rust and still looks to be an easy cleanup if i really chose to do so.
the guy gave me such a sweet deal,im going back there to buy his rigid Harley he is working on.
he was very honest and up front and everything he told me was spot on, but i do not think it was as bad as he stated he just wanted to make sure i knew it wasn't a perfect bike.
even the paint is in excellent shape no chips and minimal fading.
it was well taken care of for sure.
but i will let the pics tell the story as my narrating skills aren't very good lol.
enjoy

the seat has 1 minor tear and it's righto n the seam so its easy to fix if i really wanted to which i prolly won't

the frame is really clean there is some rust but nothing a can of black paint and some sanding won't fix.
it also had some wiring done to it at one point.

14,387 and 5/10 original miles not too bad for a 1978 that's been enjoyed. the mileage is accurate according to the paperwork.

yeauup shes leaking some oil but not too bad i think it is coming from the gear shifter and this only happens when shes warmed up.
i assume it's a gasket but haven't confirmed it yet.

even the exhaust is clean and rust free i have not seen many like this before. be it one cylinder ain't firing but still no rust or discolor on the pipes at all.

another exhaust shot to show how clean the pipes are

wheels are nice and clean as well as the front forks and fender the front tire is fairly new.

lil dusty but that is a clean fender which my bicycle fenders looked that good.

all this for the bargain price of 400 bucks delivered to my door i think it was a great deal. considering what was out there.
that's all for now i am gonna be redoing the head this weekend hopefully so we shall see how that goes and hopefully she will run god after that.
more updates soon.
Sean

thanks outskirtcustoms.
yeah the guy gave me a really good deal.not many like him around anymore.
i have the valve seats ordered all were 19 bucks .
so between parts and labor im guessing it will be another 300 into the engine.
once my seals get here the engine comes apart to do them.
then new gaskets and some tuning she will be up and going by spring.

Also I'd get some replacement fuel line and go ahead and replace all those too so there is no leaks. I had a Honda Sabre catch fire due to a rotted fuel line. Lucky I had a fire extinguisher handy and put it out quick but it will still ruin your day.

well i took her for aride be it ti was freezing cold ( i think 8 degrees, but much like bicycling, if there isn't a lot of ice im gonna ride ) i discovered she don't liek to run lol.
she stalled like every 5 mintues whenever i would engage the clutch she'd give that uh uh no way never cough then die on me,
i am assuming that's the valve problem and she is firing on one cylinder.
buti have the enw valves coming in soon.
i may just redo the ehads while im in there and polisha nd port the head but i really do not wanna modifiy sucha classic .
she' s a rare bird too from what im told not many left.
so i am not wanting to ruin a cool survivor.
more updates once my parts arrive.
if anyone knows any vintage Honda parts suppliers,or if you have any twin-star parts around, post it here i wanna have a stockpile of spare parts even if i do not need it at this moment i will most likely buy it to keep on hand.
sean

Great buying Sean!

My first bike was a black Honda CB250, great bike, went halves with my brother on it. Did all my bike learning with it, a great safe and reliable ride, then I moved onto a vintage GPZ550 Kawasaki, but that is a whole other story...

Luke.

lol i hear ya Luke.
ironically my first bike was a 1979 Kawasaki zx900 my uncle gave me.
i was too afraid to ride it so i gave it back to him then i bought a triumph trident, which i truly hate myself for ever letting to that bike was awesome but had a few issues with the carbs and leaking.
i have had a lot of motorcycles in my time and this ones a tad small for me like i said i feel like fat guy on a lil motorcycle when i ride it lol.
but i mainly bought it as a winter project and to teach the missus how to ride she's hooked lol im always catching her sitting on it and starting it. and i cannot blame her there is no better feeling then cruising on a bike.
i had a pretty bad wreck in 2005 where i crashed on a Suzuki gsxr 1350 hyabusa and almost killed myself.
but like i said in another posting im just gonna get up and try over .once the missus learns to ride im buying a rigid Harley off the same guy i bought this one from and we are gonna go riding.
anyone in the Nebraska area needs to go to this guy he gave me an awesome deal .
l it's hard to not show you're cards when you are holding such a good hand in front of you lol. but he was cool and very fair.
i found out it has an exhaust leak but im sure i can patch it it may just be a gasket at that age gaskets are gonna go so that's one of my next projects replacing all the gaskets
that,s another good thing i discovered the parts for this are really cheap and can be found all over ebay.
i have some vids of her up n running once i can upload them, but she sounds lil rough the valves def gotta be done soon.
vids soon
sean

well as promised here she is running.
excuse the heavy breathing and annoying sniffle i am fighting the flu yet again.
my buddy was sitting behind me and didn't wanna be videotaped so im not talking to myself lol not that crazy just yet.
anyways here is the bike running. as you cna tell theres a lil work needed .

forget which vid is which but she stopped so i took another one hit the throttle when i kicked it so she got mad and rebelled against running good lol.

Right on! Glad to hear you got it running even if it does sound like a brick in a dryer...lol. I still remember my first bike a '79 Yamaha XS400... It spent more time in the garage than it ever did on the road but the previous owner rode it hard so it may have just been that one. I owned a bunch of Hondas after that and they are great little bikes, parts are cheap and they are easy to work on for the most part. Then had a Harley, Buell, and I've ridden lots of friend's bikes. I got to ride a friend's Hyabusa 1300 and I'm not one that is scared of a little speed but that bike scares the crap out of me. The acceleration is NUTS!

yeah their known to be able to reach 200 mph with ease.
the fasted i had mine going at the strip was 145 mph but she still had another gear and plenty left for more.
im a Harley guy myself i love Harley but some of these imports are really not bad for the money.
unfortunately i do not foresee this one going much faster the 40.
we will see what i can do to get her to perform without chopping er up.
sean

lol i hear ya Luke.
ironically my first bike was a 1979 Kawasaki zx900 my uncle gave me.
i was too afraid to ride it so i gave it back to him then i bought a triumph trident, which i truly hate myself for ever letting to that bike was awesome but had a few issues with the carbs and leaking.
i have had a lot of motorcycles in my time and this ones a tad small for me like i said i feel like fat guy on a lil motorcycle when i ride it lol.
but i mainly bought it as a winter project and to teach the missus how to ride she's hooked lol im always catching her sitting on it and starting it. and i cannot blame her there is no better feeling then cruising on a bike.
i had a pretty bad wreck in 2005 where i crashed on a Suzuki gsxr 1350 hyabusa and almost killed myself.
but like i said in another posting im just gonna get up and try over .once the missus learns to ride im buying a rigid Harley off the same guy i bought this one from and we are gonna go riding.
anyone in the Nebraska area needs to go to this guy he gave me an awesome deal .
l it's hard to not show you're cards when you are holding such a good hand in front of you lol. but he was cool and very fair.
i found out it has an exhaust leak but im sure i can patch it it may just be a gasket at that age gaskets are gonna go so that's one of my next projects replacing all the gaskets
that,s another good thing i discovered the parts for this are really cheap and can be found all over ebay.
i have some vids of her up n running once i can upload them, but she sounds lil rough the valves def gotta be done soon.
vids soon
sean
kz900 not zx my mistake

yeah their known to be able to reach 200 mph with ease.
the fasted i had mine going at the strip was 145 mph but she still had another gear and plenty left for more.
im a Harley guy myself i love Harley but some of these imports are really not bad for the money.
unfortunately i do not foresee this one going much faster the 40.
we will see what i can do to get her to perform without chopping er up.
sean

Yeah my friends bike has all kinds of upgraded stuff, heads, cams, shift kit, extended swing arm, and a ton of other mods I'm not sure what all he's done to it but I got up over 200 before I let off of it and had another gear and half throttle to go! He also recently put a NOS kit on it. I refuse to ride it now.

I am going to say this so everyone hears:
NEVER USE EITHER!
Motors designed for starting fluid have steel pistons or a ring attached to the top of the piston. Literally you can blow the rings off the piston.
If you rejet for the temps you are in, it might run....Probably need to rebuild the Ne-Hi??? carbs.
Small mikuni carbs make that motor scream, along with a drag style pipe.
So it is said, if your motor will not start with some gas, it won't start!
For touching off diesels, use a gas wetted rag and just hold it in front of the air inlet. Remove the air cleaner. Don't loose the rag!
For small motors I use a small mustard bottle to squirt small amounts of gas down the intake.
Awesomeness on the Honda find, the customizing crowd has finally found out Honda. Their sand cast motors are works of art. (Can you tell I grew up on cb bikes?)

yeah she is running on regular gas now.
i do agree with not using ethyr.so i have stopped using it.
i just dump a little gas down the air intake under the seat and she fires right up.
however, this morning she started just by simply engaging the choke and kicking her. after the second kick she was going.
the carb is brand new.but it could need some tuning.
i will have to look into those mikuni carbs
im not wanting to customize her all that much but any customizing i do it will be just bolt on and i want to keep the original parts. i also wouldn't mind switching her to a 12v system but that's not a real big deal.
you wouldn't believe some of the junk i looked at for 800 and up.
seized engines, bad forks, and just rusty frames and flat tires to name a few.round here people throw the word vintage out way too much and it's tough not to laugh at them.
that was the main reason i chose this one it does run and is in decent shape for it's age.
then when met the guy it was a done deal. he was very honest and very cool to deal with. very upfront and told me spot on what was wrong and what wasn't
he said 400 or best offer,normally i would not pay asking price ,but he agreed to deliver it free of charge from Omaha to me in Fremont which is roughly 45 miles.
so that was about 85 bucks there after you figure that out technically i paid 315 for the bike itself.so i could not pass it up.
the valve issue seems to not be as bad as i first anticipated.
yes it will need a valve job,but once she's warmed up she wants to go.
just that initial first start is a tough one.
miekeebikey do you know any good places to find parts for this bike?
i can find them on ebay, but i would rather deal with someone else if possible.
i will be honest, i am a Harley guy, but this lil Honda is growing on me.
i am really feeling it.
more updates soon but there isn't much happening with the -2 degree weather.
Sean

As they used to say

honda.gif
;)

As far as finding parts Ebay would probably be the best place since it is a somewhat uncommon bike. If you were closer to Indiana I know a guy that has the local motorcycle graveyard that would probably have everything you would ever need but probably in worse condition than what you have since he keeps it mostly outside.

thanks man
As they used to say

honda.gif
;)

As far as finding parts Ebay would probably be the best place since it is a somewhat uncommon bike. If you were closer to Indiana I know a guy that has the local motorcycle graveyard that would probably have everything you would ever need but probably in worse condition than what you have since he keeps it mostly outside.
thanks man.
i hear ya on ebay might be best, but those parts aren't in the best either.
from what i gather on research the twin star was only made 1978 1979 so yeah not very common.
if you're guy is willing to ship the parts give me his info as long as the part works i don't mind doing a lil work to it
Sean

well i got into the engine removed the valve cover and the rocker arms.
now before i took it apart i moved the kick start and all 4 valves were moving.so i gotta see if there's another problem.
they might just be sticky but nonetheless i already ordered the parts and im gonna put them in it can't hurt.
here is where i am at right now.
i ordered a clymer repair manual in case i get stuck.
the guy i bought ti form recommended them he said their really good .
so beginning phase as follows.

my poor baby!!! this picture breaks my heart ,but she knows im helping her get better gas tank not disconnected but moved away for clearance.

i know i skipepd a few steps, but i figure why bore ya with details like that
next step i removed the valve cover,rockers, spark plugs and disconnected the coil pack to get to her.
innards.

the engines really clean inside but this is just the top i haven't gotten into the actual head yet

that's all i got right now.
next step is determining if i have to remove the head to get to the valves. this being a single overhead cam i probably do. but i will see.
more updates soon.
Sean

Latest posts

Back