My frirst balloon bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For years i'v wanted one and now I have one all thanks to Backpadler, it arived safely today, thanks backpadler for the sweet ride. i'll take pictures of it after when I assemble it.

I noticed theres alot of little holes in a line on front fender. what is the light? one of those train ones?

I think I need some bells and whistles to make this fancy lol

It apears it used to be baby blue and possibly orange?

I is needs white walls! lol

also that seat pole is stuck in there good makin g the bike hard to peddle. I was thinking about bashing it into the bike and placing another pole over it lol any ideas?
100_1880.jpg

100_1881.jpg

100_1882.jpg

I'm not sure i'd be able to sleep tonight lol it's dark and theres no light where bikes are worked on so can't till day break. I've never owned a bike with ballon tires this old before so I can't wait!

Better pics uploaded and some questions!

nice :D could of had a light and maybe a fender ornament at some point with all those holes in it. id remove the seat post instead of driving it down in the frame though

So I tryed that the site said so far only thing left is to heat that tube up. I shall use a hair dryer. also I think my seats goofed now lol. well it was when I got it. every time I sit the seat moves. i'll see if canadian bikr parts are compatible

edit: So yeah heating it aint working. I decided to give it a nice tap with a sledge hammer. it moved down abit. so it moves. the problem now is the seat pole is that tiny one. and the troxle seat wont clamp it tight and spins freely. luckly when I do get this out I did find a seat pole that will actualy fit in this bike and take a normal seat lol. I think I might speeze the pole then turn it with a big wrench. this strange little seat pole is a pain!

edit2: So yeah it aint going in or out. I see the problem. theres a lump in the pole down where the clamp is. I'm thinking giant drill bit!

Is the post solid or tubular? If it's solid you could slot the top, and use a long screwdriver to twist. Or make some flats the size of a long wrench that's handy.

If the clamp has deformed the tube, you can gently pry the clamp apart with a big flathead. If you value the paint, or the clamp, go stupid slow and stop if it isn't working.

I recommend doing all of this with the frame upside down if you don't have the clamp on the post. The one time I didn't, I lost the post in the frame and had a whole new challange.

The seatpost will be easy to replace!Strip the bike down to the frame,put some penetrator oil down the sides as good as you can then flip the bike over and pour some down the seat tube.Let it soak for a couple of days.Your hair dryer wont do anything except waste your electricity.It wont get hot enough to do anything.Your main goal is to break free as much gunk between the frame and the seat post.Once youve done that,flip the bike frame upside down and crank the heck out of the seat post in a vice.Like I said the seat post is super easy to replace.Twist the frame side to side gently until it breaks free.If the post keeps slipping beat the vice handle with a hammer and it will squish the post flat and it wont slip.PLEASE PLEASE DONT BEAT THE POST INTO THE FRAME!!!!!!!Ive done the vice trick with a few older bikes where the post was stuck and it works everytime.Dont get ahead of yourself it doesnt have to be done tonite.Let the penetrator do its thing for a couple of days then gently work the frame back and forth,alittle at a time. And dont use a screw driver to wedge the top of your seat tube apart.It wont do anything except mess up your frame.If its stuck in there,then it wont spread anyways.It'll just eat the metal up on your frame.

bikejunkie said:
The seatpost will be easy to replace!Strip the bike down to the frame,put some penetrator oil down the sides as good as you can then flip the bike over and pour some down the seat tube.Let it soak for a couple of days.Your hair dryer wont do anything except waste your electricity.It wont get hot enough to do anything.Your main goal is to break free as much gunk between the frame and the seat post.Once youve done that,flip the bike frame upside down and crank the heck out of the seat post in a vice.Like I said the seat post is super easy to replace.Twist the frame side to side gently until it breaks free.If the post keeps slipping beat the vice handle with a hammer and it will squish the post flat and it wont slip.PLEASE PLEASE DONT BEAT THE POST INTO THE FRAME!!!!!!!Ive done the vice trick with a few older bikes where the post was stuck and it works everytime.Dont get ahead of yourself it doesnt have to be done tonite.Let the penetrator do its thing for a couple of days then gently work the frame back and forth,alittle at a time. And dont use a screw driver to wedge the top of your seat tube apart.It wont do anything except mess up your frame.If its stuck in there,then it wont spread anyways.It'll just eat the metal up on your frame.

That is very good advice. Absolutely do not bash it in, as it will never, ever come out again. I broke free a VERY stubborn post using this vice trick myself... I almost snapped the post off any other way... I always have awesome luck with "Kroil" creeping oil to unstick these kinds of things. It seems to be miles ahead of any other kind of penetrating oil I've used so far... just soak it good both ways through as described, squish the top of the post into the vice really well, and just gently twist the frame, it will come out. Don't rush it. If you don't feel like stripping the frame bare, clamp some vise grips on the end of the post to the same point of squishing it out flat a bit, then tap the end of the vice grips with a rubber mallet. I have had that work too, worth a shot before stripping it bare, but certainly not quite as good as the vice trick. Really digging the bike!

(EDIT: Have you tried clamping the seat to the post as much as possible and twisting the seat some? Maybe it's enough leverage to break your post free. Sorry if you have tried this, I didn't read everything above).

It's a tubler seat pole. as for a vice I don't have one anywhere here anymore. I will get some penatrater oil though. if all dosn't work I shall use a giant drill bit and eat that .... pole out, I did it before lol. and if all this dosn't work. a bare frame dosn't cost to much like. I have all the parts lol

cman said:
I have cut a post out before. Miserable but I still have the bike.

the only "7" style posts ive had are solid, kinda hard to cut them out, maybe its tubular though (hope so) :wink:

How does one cut the pole out anyway? Why why I finally get a bike I really wanted then a godawefull seatpole problem, also this bike apears to take a train light I think I seen a bike the same with the blue color and it had one

If i'm not mistaken this is the one I have. mines the same color under the green
DSC01219MA16290998-0002.jpg

With a tubular post you can stick a hack saw blade inside the post and run it back and forth about 9 gajillion times. :roll: Definitely a measure of last resort. If you get desperate enough to try that, be careful not to cut into the frame tube.

Back