My freshly rebuilt German racer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is a K.G. Special made by Kurt Gudereit GmbH (http://www.gudereit.de) in the late 1960's. It's the only one of its kind that I have been able to find, although if any of you find a similar bicycle, BUY IT!!! You'll be glad you did. This example is hand-built and hand-painted, as well as one of the few fully equipped bicycles that Gudereit made during this era.

I can provide a specs sheet if anyone desires. If any of you have any further information on 1960's and 1970's Gudereits, please let me know!

Gudereit1.jpg

Gudereit2.jpg

Gudereit3.jpg

Gudereit4.jpg

That must be the German cousin of this "Camel" that a friend gave me:

camel10.jpg

I can't figure out where this was made, but most of the components are Japanese. Definitely not hand made though...

Bunbury said:
That must be the German cousin of this "Camel" that a friend gave me:
I can't figure out where this was made, but most of the components are Japanese. Definitely not hand made though...

Oh cool, a Camel! I have one too. As best my research can tell me, it seems to have likely been made by the Standard Bicycle Co., which s a Japanese company. I have a Ranger made by the SBC, and the lugging on it and my Camel are identical. Could you post a close-up of the lugging on the head on your Camel, Bunbury? This is one of the many bicycle mysteries I'd like to solve.

This is the only one I've ever seen, it looks to be late 70's or so, and not very well made but solid. Another one turned up on Bikeforum.net today, but it's a bit different. Here are some more pics:
camel04.jpg
camel05.jpg
camel09.jpg

camel06.jpg

Bunbury said:
This is the only one I've ever seen, it looks to be late 70's or so, and not very well made but solid. Another one turned up on Bikeforum.net today, but it's a bit different. Here are some more pics:

Well, the plot thickens... your Camel is completely unlike mine, and mine is completely unlike the one posted on Bikeforums. I will post some photos of mine shortly.

Hmm, they don't seem too dissimilar to my untrained eye, apart from the headbadge and minor variation in the lugs. I'm cleaning mine up for sale this week, I'll get some more pics up when it's ready to roll.

Bunbury said:
Hmm, they don't seem too dissimilar to my untrained eye, apart from the headbadge and minor variation in the lugs. I'm cleaning mine up for sale this week, I'll get some more pics up when it's ready to roll.

To me, the lugging is so different I really do think my Camel and yours are from two different companies... Even so, it's very interesting to see some other Camels! Do you know if yours was from some sort of giveaway or coupon-scheme from Camel Cigarettes? I have never been able to get any info...

Good luck selling yours! I'm probably going to put a 3-piece bottom bracket on mine and make it a beater.

No, I don't think there's any connection to the cigarette company, and it wouldn't surprise me if ours were from two different manufacturers. The friend that gave it to me doesn't know much about it either, I think he picked it up at a yard sale.

I finally finished flogging this beast into shape and sold it on Craigslist. It turned out to be a much better rider than I expected, and I would have hung onto it if the frame was a bit smaller. This was the end result:

camel02.jpg

Back