My first Schwinn.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a1954 Schwinn Spitfire off Facebook this past weekend. Came with a Goodyear Speedway tire, everything looks to be original, Schwinn grips, Mesinger seat...Missing a head badge. What one would this bike have had? I've seen a colour matched one with Schwinn on the top of the badge and Spitfire where "Schwinn" usually is on the badge but I've also seen Spitfire badges with the airplane. The New Departure hub will need an overhaul but that's all I really need to do to it.

20230506_121645.jpg

20230506_121823.jpg

20230506_121637.jpg

20230506_122041.jpg

N plus 5 digits is 1954. 👍

Just a small image in the 54 catalog. Hard to tell what head badge, but a green badge would look natural.

1683618097804.png

Here's a 54 from the Huntington Bicycle Shop"

1683620405351.png

I checked the catalog again, the Spitfire is listed having enameled S-2 rims. Your chrome rims may be an upgrade or possibly how it came new.

Last edited:
Picked up a1954 Schwinn Spitfire off Facebook this past weekend. Came with a Goodyear Speedway tire, everything looks to be original, Schwinn grips, Mesinger seat...Missing a head badge. What one would this bike have had? I've seen a colour matched one with Schwinn on the top of the badge and Spitfire where "Schwinn" usually is on the badge but I've also seen Spitfire badges with the airplane. The New Departure hub will need an overhaul but that's all I really need to do to it.

View attachment 231599

View attachment 231600

View attachment 231598

View attachment 231601
Are they S-2 wheels? Either larger sized badge will work a color match Schwinn or a Spitfire badge. No way to tell what it was originally.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3049302101...dWJmd6jF6+qndVy50eRrLURg==|tkp:Bk9SR_zcioOAYg

My first, last and about a hundred Schwinn's in between are sadly gone. I build and sell. What catches my eye, and this time I hope one catches my grand daughter's eye! Starting her off right.
IMG_20230509_164043.jpg

Are they S-2 wheels? Either larger sized badge will work a color match Schwinn or a Spitfire badge. No way to tell what it was originally.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3049302101...dWJmd6jF6+qndVy50eRrLURg==|tkp:Bk9SR_zcioOAYg

Yea, they're S-2 rims as far as I can tell, 2 knurled bands on the rims, one on each side of the spokes.

Good find Schwinns are rare to find up here

Yea, jumped on it when I seen it. Keeper for the collection for sure. Though I own more American made bikes than Canadian ones now, lol.

N plus 5 digits is 1954. 👍

Just a small image in the 54 catalog. Hard to tell what head badge, but a green badge would look natural.

View attachment 231608

Here's a 54 from the Huntington Bicycle Shop"

View attachment 231614

I checked the catalog again, the Spitfire is listed having enameled S-2 rims. Your chrome rims may be an upgrade or possibly how it came new.

Yea, I also thought it could've been a Hornet with a missing tank? but pics of those usually had a truss rod fork as well. They for sure are S-2 rims, double knurl on them as well.

That Blue badge looks rather decent on it.

Dang, Retro F, I just noticed that sweet Ottawa license plate on there too, bonus!
Yea, it was a nice plus to it, adds a bit to the bike. Though, I may swap the 58 plate I have from Winnipeg on to it. Put this Yellow '74 on my '61 Skyrider daily.

Thanks for the input, I'll be looking for a headbadge for it...hopefully find something with similar patina to the rest of the bike.

Latest posts

Back