my first rat rod.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nothing too crazy i made this bike for my girlfriend.
i found the frame in a dumpster with the forks and well it was just too nice to leave behind there. it had no decals no markings of any kind but the paint on the bike frame and fork were nearly perfect.
i have been collecting bikes for about a year now and had some spare parts from some of the restorations i have done so i put together this twelve speed twenty seven inch wheeled frankenbike for my girlfriend.
theres no hi tech welding or anything overly hard about what i did like some of the guys here,but this bike has definately perked my interest in doing more.
sorry the picture isnt super great but it gives you a idea of how it turned out.
she loves it .
its pretty fast for a bike that sort of looks like a old three speed i have a nice old raleigh roadster but this bike blows it aways. its got a brooks sadle and some handle bars from a old raliegh twenty and a set of wienman vintage brake levers.
i put a longer seatpost on it so taller people can ride it comforatably

P1020864.jpg

heres some of the other bikes i have restored i am planning on doing some more rat rods but this is some of my other bikes i have right now.

P1020831.jpg

P1020806.jpg

i have three of these folders ones in almost as nice shape as this one but this one has the impossible to find raleigh record twenty inch tires on it the other is the smaller sized redline tires.

this last bike was totaly rusted and completely unrideable when i got it from a thrift store around town. it came up pretty nice in the end

P1020844.jpg

this is my realy fast electric bike it runs a 48 volt system and i have had the wheel built with 72 spokes so it is super strong.
the bike has hit close to forty miles a hour on the flats with pedaling it is very fun but a bit of a money pig to keep going.
i had it running on nmhd batteries this summer but its the fastest with sla even tho they are heavier the give me the most torque.
i put some irc metros on it and have them at about 100psi so this bike has lower rolling resistance.

2265.jpg

its not realy a rat rod but it is one of the fastest electric bikes around town.
it completely decimates the scooter type ebikes and can accelerate from zero to forty miles a hour in about six and a half seconds if i pedal hard. the motor is a hienzman hub with the timing set up different from stock and has been refited with different springs and brushes.

Cool stuff! Welcome to the group.

thanks man.
the folder is one of my favorite bikes ever to ride its realy realy cherry.
later this year i am going to work on one of my other twentys into something flat black and realy cool.

the hardest part of restoing the folder for me was matching the paint on it.
i ended up using threee different shades of nail polish to match the colour and spraying it with a preval sprayer to. it worked pretty good well excellent actualy you cant tell where i sprayed te bits. i waited a week then wazed the parts to help it blend.

i waited a week then wazed the parts to help it blend.

What does "wazed" mean?

It seems that you like English three speeds. Not a bad choice considering many of them are still going strong on all original components. I'm cleaning up a Robin Hood, and I keep getting suprised with how solid it is. And it is only considerd a "middle of the road" model.

Korporal said:
i waited a week then wazed the parts to help it blend.

What does "wazed" mean?

It seems that you like English three speeds. Not a bad choice considering many of them are still going strong on all original components. I'm cleaning up a Robin Hood, and I keep getting suprised with how solid it is. And it is only considerd a "middle of the road" model.

hahah i suppose it means i should stop using laquer thinner to clean parts.
i indeed did mean to say waxed.
i do like englsh three speeds i think they can be deceptively fast on the flats with the right tires .
thats what seems to be most available here in town.
i would love to get my hands on some older american bikes. they are more rare around here.

Hugo said:
Korporal said:
What does "wazed" mean?
Probably is a tipo, he meant "waxed"? Yeah, that folder is adorable. I love a clean 20 inch folding bike.

Hugo

i have two of those folding twentys in nearly new shape i have cleaned and fixed up. i have a third wich i am going to probably paint flat black mount a crhome skull shift knob on the frame bolt and put some mild ape hangers a banana seat and sissy bar on it.
some nice white walls will be in call too.
the one in the photo here is probably one of my favorite bikes of all time.
when i was small my mom would tell me stories of my grandad on his folding bsa from the war he got to keep afterwards.
.... i wish i had that bike but it did not survive the eighties.
i like most old school bikes no matter what they are even some ten speeds.

That makes sense. Theirs nothing wrong with using laquer thinnnnnnnnneeeeeerrrrrrr. *Passes out*

Back