My first Cruiser build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, my Name is Kolben and I'm from Wheeling, WV. I've never really built a bicycle before (I've rebuilt a few of my cars), and this is the start of my first custom. I started with 2 complete bikes, an old style (japanese) cruiser frame that was originally teal with a single speed and a backpedal brake. I painted it flat black and rode it as it was for a long time, but I was given an old Columbia Mountainaire 10 speed by a friend of my dads (It had sat outside for a long time and not much was good on it anymore) and decided to put the two together.

I used the front sprocket from the 10 speed and the single rear from the cruiser to make a 2 speed (I've been calling it a powerglide) with 2.64:1 first and 2.03:1 second (exactly what I wanted in a cruiser bike.) I also removed the brake shoes form the rear sprocket, so that it would free wheel, and converted it to a newer style squeeze brake. I used the shifter from the 10 speed with a homeade extension and shortened cable to make a suicide shifter, and flipped the handlebars for that awesome Cafe bike look as well.

Future plans are paint once the weather gets nicer, White walls, and a rear fender (I have it, just have to mount it)
Anyways, here are pictures.

IMG_2261 by ThatVWkid, on Flickr

IMG_2259 by ThatVWkid, on Flickr

IMG_2263 by ThatVWkid, on Flickr

Not sure, but the casting on the kickstand was "made in japan"
Same with the hub. Couldn't find anything left on the frame

I gotta agree with Schwinnpastic. Looks like Murray rear dropouts. Does it also have a flat tab welded to the back of the seatpost and a hole in the downtube for mounting a chain guard? If so, the Powerglide was made here in the states, like it's namesake.

Wheeling is not all that far from Pittsburg,Pa, , feel free to come up and ride with the "Kool Kats" on one of our rides sometime and bring some friends

nice bike. the shifter is sweet and I dig the overall rat rod look.

now lets talk about your MK3. Is it a GLX or a GT (or perhaps a wolfsburg...)? you need a european vr6 lip on that thing stat.
I had a 98 gti VR6 in ginster yellow and I loved it.
my current MKIV:
IMAG0041.jpg

That's a wicked awesome idea ...!
I'm Definitely going to try this sometime, Thanks for sharing.
The bike looks great as is, but whitewalls would look cool. Have fun with it ....

redstar said:
nice bike. the shifter is sweet and I dig the overall rat rod look.

now lets talk about your MK3. Is it a GLX or a GT (or perhaps a wolfsburg...)? you need a european vr6 lip on that thing stat.
I had a 98 gti VR6 in ginster yellow and I loved it.
my current MKIV:
IMAG0041.jpg
It's a GLS (loaded ABA car) and it's just my beater lol. Never got into vr lips, too much hanging off of the bumper for where i live. I have a 68 Baja bug but it's in winter storage currently. Nice mk4 btw

Made some more progress (still waiting on this snow to stop)
Made a cool brace for the brake set out of an old Bicycle wrench.
Also polished a few parts, Got a new set of brake pads (the old ones were rotten and didnt last very long on the test rides) And notched the chain gaurd out to fit. Anyone have an idea on the brand of the lights/ generator?

IMG_2518 by ThatVWkid, on Flickr

IMG_2521 by ThatVWkid, on Flickr

IMG_2523 by ThatVWkid, on Flickr

IMG_2525 by ThatVWkid, on Flickr

Back