My first build (that I didn't realize I did)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yoothgeye

I build stuff.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
So, a few years ago (2006) my father-in-law came to my wife and I with an idea for mom-in-law's Christmas gift. Her old bike from her childhood (was used/second/thirdhand to her, she's in her 60s now) had recently been brought from her family home to their barn. He asked if I would revitalize it for her as a gift. I grew up on 2 wheels and I'm kinda handy, so I said, no problem.

It was kinda a tragic build, late nights, bloody knuckles, set backs, mutiple trips to the store, running paint, changed ideas, and sometime during the build I ran to the store and back in 20 minutes and someone had shot and killed one of our pet goats.

I had no idea what I was building then, but now that I'm on here I realize I put a skiptooth back on the road. I didn't go for original colors or paint schemes because even when she was a kid it never had paint, I sanded through about 5-6 colors. Her favorite color is green.

I was pretty sick of the project (and the overspray on my car) but on Christmas morning it was a great payoff, I couldn't have given her a better gift.

I messed up the coaster when I was putting it together, but it was rideable. They took it to a bike shop and had a new sprocket/rear wheel put on it since she still rides it. The shop tried to keep the skiptooth sprocket, but they still have it, and I could get it if I wanted.

If I had it to do again, I would do it a little different, but I'm still happy with it. I don't have a clue what year it is, just that it's a Western Flyer.

Here's the before and afters:

dianne_01.jpg

dianne02.jpg

dianne1.jpg

dianne2.jpg

dianne03.jpg

Looking at the photos, it's good that I was asked to fix the bike 4 years ago instead of today or I might have gone all out and possibly swapped some parts onto my bikes. :wink: Altogether I spent *maybe* $40 on that bike.

I cleaned the seat and added a piece of foam on top and sewed a cover out of white/pearl vinyl, wrapped it and sandwiched the material between the seat pans. It's still holding up very well, but looking at the before photo, I'd love to have that saddle as it on my cruiser.

Rustinkerer said:
Cool save! It looks like a late 40s Cleveland Welding built bike, and with that chainring, likely a Roadmaster. -Adam

How does this play in with the Western Flyer headbadge (never removed, till I did)?

deorman said:
Western Flyer is a store brand. (Western Auto) Their bikes were supplied by several manufacturers over several decades.

Cool, if there is a database on numbers I might look for a serial next time I'm at the inlaws.

Back