My first build is a 1961 Huffy Eldorado

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first real build although I worked in a local bike shop in the 70's as a teenager so I did have some skills. It is a 1961 Huffy Eldorado. Free frame from my brother-in-law. It was his bike as a kid and he was going to toss it as all the chrome was in really bad shape including the wheels. I decided to rebuild it completely after looking at RatRodBikes for over a year now deciding what I wanted to do it. Decided I essentially wanted a lightweight beach cruiser to carry on vacation and this is what I came up with. Almost painted it but it just had too much character to paint so I cleaned off the rust & applied a couple of coats of Carnauba wax before reassembling. I did keep it light removing fenders, chainguard, rear carrier, & light. Still deciding whether to put the carrier back on or not... maybe later. Converted to a 3-speed to help ease the riding pain on my 50+ year old body. Other mods include:

Cruiser Retrorunner Tires (Cream pair) 26"x 2.125"
Slime 26"x1.75-2.125"-SV Tubes - Pair
Slime 26"x1.75-2.125"-SV Tire Liners / Tube Protectors - Pair
Velox Rim Tape x2
BMX Museum Red Rocket Valve Stems
Shimano Nexus INTER-3 Beach Cruiser Weinmann Wheels - Silver (Front & Back)
VELO Deluxe Extra Padded Beach Cruiser Bike Saddle (White)
VELO Vinyl Leather Grips Beach Cruiser Bicycle (White)
Nirve Cruiser Kandy Bar 26" Chrome Handlebar
Wald Steel Handlebar Stem, Quill .833" x 6" Tall 25.4mm Chrome
Vintage 1950s NOS Mens Cream Crossblock Bicycle Pedals
Mosh 1-piece crank
Pyramid Steel Seatpost Bicycle Seat Post 12" x 7/8" Bike
Greenfield Silver Kickstand
Cat Eyes LED Tail Light
original 1961 Huffy Eldorado chain sprocket

Hope everyone likes the bike & enjoys the pics of the bike in Gulf Islands National Seashore at Navarre Beach Florida. I rode 7 miles on it's maiden trip. Really had a blast rebuilding & modding this bike. It will not be my last, too much fun not to find another to build!!!!!!!
1961HuffyEldoradoCruiser9.jpg
1961HuffyEldoradoCruiser2.jpg
1961HuffyEldoradoCruiser.jpg
1961HuffyEldoradoCruiser8.jpg
1961HuffyEldoradoCruiser5.jpg
1961HuffyEldoradoCruiser4.jpg
1961HuffyEldoradoCruiser16.jpg
1961HuffyEldorado001b.jpg

Also need to give many thanks to my nephew's wife, Rachel M, for the professional photographic shoot of the bike on the beach. Thanks Rachel.

Great looking bike! You could probably sell the leftover parts here.

My Navy buddies and I used to take our families down to Navarre Beach in the late 80's and have miles of beach to ourselves. Pure white sand and clear water, the Miracle Strip if I remember right.

Back