My first attempt at a single speed

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Started with a garbage picked Schwinn Traveler III. It was sky blue, kinda rough but was eager to paint. No pictures of the progress but it came out good, until I took it camping in northern Michigan, the bike rack and the other bike did some damage...you live you learn I guess.

DSCF8934.jpg

DSCF8935.jpg

DSCF8936.jpg

Oh no!!! You stem is loose and your handlebars have flipped around. I don't get having the bars like that? Not to be stereotypical but for some reason I only see middle aged white guys doing that to road bars. You know can ditch the gears in the back and thread on a freewheel but then just have to redish the hub? Cool bike though.

Looks good. I use a black sharpie to touch up the paint on my black Raleigh.

yeah, take off that cassette, throw on a bmx freewheel, flip the axle, and redish the wheel. oh and cut down the bars. :D

I know I know, the inner hipster is coming out in me with the bars. I actually had them down and gave them a try up to get the feeling before I cut them, i'm actually leaning towards the up position for comfort. This project was supposed to be as cheap as possible but with 40$ for tires, who knows on primer, paint, and clear (it was my paint job and used automotive paint), and brake cable I got to the point where I had to stop spending. As for the rear wheel I've never really messed around on one so i'm hesitant to get into redishing.

Latest posts

Back