My bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a little mini restoration on a bike that I got from a friends back yard. I have no idea how long it had been sitting back there. I got some new wheels, 26x2.35 white walls, chain, grips, seat, laid back seat post, new headset and had the crank tightened up. Now its riding nice and smooth. I am a big guy at 6'5" so the laid back seat post was a requirement. I have raised the seat since I took these pictures. I also have some mini apes that I am going to put on the bike to make it fit me a little better.

Anyways, here are the pictures.

BEFORE
IMAG0463_zps95d885b6.jpg

AFTER
IMAG0642_zps4ed760a4.jpg

IMAG0640_zps813f5be2.jpg

IMAG0643_zpsc213913e.jpg

And this is another bike that I am working on. Got the frame from a buddy of mine. Even as long as it is, I still need it to be about 4 inches longer to fit my long legs. Its a novelty bike that I can take to some car shows or run around at the tour de fat and stuff like that. Not the comfortable cruiser type. This one is a work in progress for sure.

IMAG0677_zps0b9d2d0f.jpg

Mocked up with a springer and the handle bars off my cruiser and some spare parts laying around the house.
IMAG0700_zps68676f20.jpg

Cut the seat post off and move it to the tube in front of the rear tire. about 3/4's of the way up. That will(don't know any dimensions on that frame or your size, so it's all I can suggest at the moment) give you some leg extension without having to stretch it more. :wink:
Nice looking bikes.

Mount some cranks, the size you're planning on using, and get a shot of your leg in full up position and full forward(middle) extension. That will tell all. But, it looks like if you move the seatpost to about 1" below the miter on the seat tube it will give you alot more room(being 6' 5" I can't say it'll be anywhere near enough though!). You may just have to stretch it since you're taller than most.
BTW: Welcome aboard and nice bikes!

I am probably going to make the springer fork a solid fork. I am a heavy guy and it will bottom out with me on it.

I have the tools, but am still learning how to weld so I took it to a buddy who does. We are working on making it fit me better. Its going to be tight and not as fun to ride but we moved the BB to give me an extra few inches. I still need to go and clean up the welds, but its solid. It isn't going anywhere.

IMAG0805_zps0789e512.jpg

LukeTheJoker said:
Looks like your buddy did a good job there. Looks plenty strong... :wink:
Just a thought, will you still have enough room that your feet wont hit the front wheel when turning?

Luke.

I don't think there will be enough room, no. Turning will be a bit of a chore, but since this bike will see most of its use at car shows, I will likely be walking it around more than riding it. Turning would be a labor of love anyway because this thing is a touch over 8 feet long as it is.

What about running a shorter crank of a kids bmx? Standard cranks can be up to 7 inch's long, but a 16 inch bmx is only 5 inch's and a 12.5 inch kids bike is only 4 inch's at the cranks... Would give you more room, but you may have to run a lower gear to offset the reduced leverage...

Luke.

LukeTheJoker said:
What about running a shorter crank of a kids bmx? Standard cranks can be up to 7 inch's long, but a 16 inch bmx is only 5 inch's and a 12.5 inch kids bike is only 4 inch's at the cranks... Would give you more room, but you may have to run a lower gear to offset the reduced leverage...

Luke.

Yeah, I was considering a shorter crank. I am hoping to have it put together soon so I can see how much of an interference I am going to have.

Got some more work done on my frame. Ground down and filed all the welds and scuffed off the rust. Just need to get a head tube reducer, set of wheels and a chain so I can get it put together.

IMAG0809_zps2e43ff8d.jpg

IMAG0811_zps90237539.jpg

IMAG0813_zpsa9c887fe.jpg

IMAG0814_zps465499dc.jpg

yoothgeye said:
dante81_98 said:
I am in Arizona.

Ok, then my next question is, what does "NC" stand for?

LOL It stands for Negative Camber. Its a truck club I am in. Here are a few of my other rides.

Past rides:
nspite_13.jpg

nspite_1.jpg

Chad_7221.JPG

13983243016_kJBvR.jpg

Currently in the shop:
IMAG0478_small.jpg

In the wings:
0318002004.jpg

Back