my bike story

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi from New Mexico! I have been surfing this site for several months. I learned to ride bikes on a 24" Western Flyer. I remember crashing it into several trees while my father cringed! I graduated to a 26" Huffy that I rode for many years and used to deliver papers. It had two baskets on the back and was indestuctible. When I got to junior high I stepped up to a brown Schwinn Varsity and rode it a lot until I got my driver's license! One day my little brother borrowed it and left it in his friend's driveway where it promptly disappeared, never to be seen again. In college I bought a Ross ten speed with a lugged steel frame, a chrome fork and steel rims. Had that bike for many years and even took it to Turkey with me when I was in the military. It was a great bike. It met an untimely end when I parked it in my barn and didn't look at it for a couple of years. It became horribly rusted and I didn't feel like restoring it so I dumped it. Wish I would have kept the frame.
After several years of hiatus, I bought a Schwinn mountain bike and after getting bored with it got a Specialized hybrid ( sirrus elite, aluminum frame). Although it is a nice bike, it does not ride as well as I remember my varsity and Ross bikes riding.
After stumbling onto this site, I have been inspired to build my own rat rod and get back to a steel frame comfortable bike! I bought an old cruiser frame, some new 26" rims and tires, and a black springer fork. Will post some pics when I figure out how I'm going to finish it.
So, I have almost "devolved" back to what I rode as a kid. Took me a long time to figure it out!

PS. Really enjoyed the recent build off. I am very impressed with the creativity among this site's members.

mikek

WELCOME!

Back