My beast has problems *UPDATE Fixed!!*

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Its been a while since I have posted anything here. I am excited about the possibilities with these fat tire bikes.
I ordered a Red beast when i caught them on sale for $163.00.
Well it showed up and I was like a kid at christmas!!

I Read the forum threads so i knew what to look for and what to be prepared to fix.
I started to tear it down to grease and adjust everything.
Everything was going fine until i got to the bottom bracket , The cup on the non drive side is cross threaded in the frame!
The cranks barely move. '
The second problem is a flat rear tire, Unfortunately once i took the tube out it had a split seam about 1" long.
What is a good tube replacement option?

So what do I do? How good are the guys at Pacific cycles?
Anything I need to know before I call?

Thanks in advance!!

One of the ones that I got has a cross threaded bottom bracket too. I was able to get it out, but it was not easy. Then I cleaned out any metal shavings, put a bit of grease on it and got it back in, but even then it was still real hard to get back in .

As far as the tube - Specialized makes a 26x3. I got some yesterday, but havent tried them myself. I have heard they work great.

You may want to call the number....

So I called today and talked to the warranty dept at pacific cycles. They want me to go to my local wal mart and proceed with an exchange through them.
I find this to be a joke, seeing as the owners manual states not to go back to the store, all problems should be dealt with through pacific.

I ordered the bike online because my local store doesn't carry them, they also showed no interest when I approached them about ordering me one.

What a pain.

You could try to get the bottom bracket out. But if you cant it will look like you messed with it. The tube isn't too big of a deal. New tubes are $7ish...

send them an email. the people on the phone said to take it to the store, so i tried email, and got what i wanted - a new bike at my door.

Call the 800 number for the tube. Pacific sent me a replacement tube. Walmart sent me a new bike with stipulation that I return the defective one. Customer service at Walmart.com is NOT the best, but I was persistant. Same cross threaded issues.

Wall Mart and Mongoose are lucky it's not me with a cross threaded B.b.
I make screws and nuts daily, cross threaded wouldn't fly! :)
A tap is available, at a price that's high, from Park tool.

I emailed the guys at Pacific Yesterday. See what happens. I really don't want to have to deal with WalMart.

As far as elaborating on it being cross threaded, Well I tore the bike completely apart. I'm a freak when it comes to my bikes and I prefer to adjust and lubricate everything to my satisfaction. The Cranks would not turn without force and sounded like some major grinding was happening inside.

I have a extensive collection of bicycle tools , so working on a bottom bracket is fairly simple.
Everything looked fine as I removed the crank arms but upon closer inspection I noticed that the lock ring was no sitting flush .
I thought the lock ring may have been cross threaded onto the cup, as I have seen this happen in my younger days as a shop mechanic.
Once I removed the lock ring it was obvious that the whole cup assembly was threaded into the frame incorrectly .

Now I'm sure some of you are wondering why I don't just try to save it.
Well there are two reasons, First If we don't hold manufacturers to a higher quality standard and let things like this slide then the quality will never get better.
I realize that this is just a Walgoose but all of us still spent hard earned money for it.
Second, The treads in the frame and cup are pretty delicate and now they are scarred. It may never be an issue but I'm not going to deal with it because of some poor quality control.

Don't let my experience discourage you. I'm sure I am only one of a few who has had any real problems. There are plenty of members here who are having a great time with their beast's.

I'm still happy with my purchase, I just want mongoose to take care of me so I can take a ride!

Hello everyone, Its been a while and I figured this at least needed an update.

Pacific did come through with a new tube, but i decided to have my LBS fix the bottom bracket. They were able to run a tap through it and every thing turned out ok.

I have been riding the bike on occasion to work and its actually a very nice ride.
The only changes I have made to bike are, Bars, grips,pedals and I added some chain tensioner's .

I guess the only real complaint i have is that I wish the neck was threadless.

Latest posts

Back