My 1961 Schwinn Black Hornet 20" Canti Project

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Going to build this up with a bobber/run-a-bout look. Ape Hangers were on it when I got it, and will be getting a brown mesinger spring seat. Needs a lot of work, and a several hundered bucks to complete. If anyone has parts for this bike let me know. Need the chainguard and I'm sure some more parts will be needed as I clean them up.

Very cool! I never knew that Schwinn had a 20" version of that canti tank.

Finally broke the rust to get the neck off. Now have the frame and fork soaking in OA. Paint on the frame is really bad, but I'm still gonna leave it the way it is. Sprocket isn't bad, but the crank needs to be replaced.

Tomorrow, cleaning the tank as best as I can without going near the decals. Will also take the horn apart and see if I can bring it back to life.

Need:
Handlebars/Stem/Black Grips
Complete head set
Crank
Pedals
Wheels 20" S7 with Bendix or ND Hub.
Westwind 20x1 3/4 tires
Fender braces
Chainguard
Mesinger Spring Seat

I'm not a Schwinn expert, but wouldn't it make sense to a Stingray with a

Will probably be sending out my fenders to get rerolled at some point this week.

Picking up 2 '60s Stingrays this morning for $25 each, which will help me complete this bike! It might be a 3 speed when it's done. The other one is a 5 Speed.

ohhh man! im a shwinn guy.... I just got that tingly feeling when you drive real fast over a bump...but im sitting at a computer. weird. Are you doing factory resto? or rat rod type? I have a few frames but can never find a 20" canti tank....good find!

Finally broke the rust to get the neck off. Now have the frame and fork soaking in OA. Paint on the frame is really bad, but I'm still gonna leave it the way it is. Sprocket isn't bad, but the crank needs to be replaced.

Tomorrow, cleaning the tank as best as I can without going near the decals. Will also take the horn apart and see if I can bring it back to life.

Need:
Handlebars/Stem/Black Grips
Complete head set
Crank
Pedals
Wheels 20" S7 with Bendix or ND Hub.
Westwind 20x1 3/4 tires
Fender braces
Chainguard
Mesinger Spring Seat

I'm not a Schwinn expert, but wouldn't it make sense to a Stingray with a

Will probably be sending out my fenders to get rerolled at some point this week.
I guess I should have read that post huh? lol just got so excited. Ill check my parts pile and see if I got any of the needed items

I guess I should have read that post huh? lol just got so excited. Ill check my parts pile and see if I got any of the needed items

Haha. Might have gotten lucky again last night. The guy is willing to ship it, so I'll be working it out with him today. It's a '64, but it's got all the right parts. Well, except the chainguard of course!
00G0G_4JAo8FHN9N5_600x450.jpg

All is good! Bike should be here Friday or Monday!

Will rat rod up the what's left of the original bike! Just need to put together some funds first.

Back