My 1896-1897 Fixie find!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I have been working on a deal for months with a very nice couple to purchase this really old diamond frame they had. It was a hand-me-dwon from the grandfather of the husband, and has been sitting in their garage for decades. It just finally came in today, and I am absolutely amazed. It is like a work of art, up close, it really is. The whole frame has this super fine red box pinstripe,and the wooden wheels and handlebar are in nice condition. The hubs are pristine, by a quick look, and I am trying to figure out how I will build it out. I want to retain all the original components, even the wood rims, but am not sure how strong they are. I am generally speechless about the whole thing. I have a lot of research to do... Pictures tomorrow morning.

65ygb4.jpg

2uptipv.jpg

2qjarmb.jpg

snyru9.jpg

n6f38n.jpg

2zgxi6q.jpg

5oegci.jpg

rhva5s.jpg

10ws6r8.jpg

2eybajr.jpg

2heetrn.jpg

2llotuc.jpg

mcgm7b.jpg

Thanks! I'm kinda in the air as to what I am going to do about the wheel situation... I want to save the o.g. wood wheels, but I'm afraid they are weak, and the repro tires are so expensive. Plus, the spokes are all super rusty and I don't think the chanes of truing the wheels to be all too good. I could get some super pricy (but beautiful) harper machine tires for these rims, and clean up all the wood the best I could, but then it would be more of a display piece to me and not at all very practical to ride, except once in a blue moon to a parade or some other event. The hubs are absolutely beautiful, mechanically and cosmetically, and I thought it would be very cool to have the old hubs re-laced into some kind of 700C rim... but I feel that is just sacriligious, considering how original (and nice) this bike is. My grandfather does all kinds of wood furniture refurb., so I am going to do some research and see what we can't do to treat the wheels and handlebar.

I would appreciate any thoughts, comments, any anything! The make is "Continental Cycle Co." andf the model is the "Rialto". I was told that this company was only in business from 1896-1897. Much to my dismay, the badge is broken at the bottom... very depressing.

The coolest mechanical detail of the bike so far... the chainring and rear cog are both 1" pitch! I'm really surprised, considering the age. I am absolutely incredulous, too, at how nice this bike really is mechanically... the crank spins like it was lubed up yesterday, as do the hubs, and they are COVERED in grease at the cones... The bearings are nice and shiny, and all there... everything threads on and off like a brand new bike... I think that a full re-lube would be completely possible, and with no harm to the bike as it is.

All said, I want to retain all originality possible.

Also: As shown in the 6th pic, much to my surprise, the fork was originally nickle or chrome plated at the bottom, and had a shiny dart, like newer roadbikes do. I have never seen that on a bike this old, in any picture.

great score! looks to be pretty much there and original(other than the seat....thats 40s-60s if i recall correctly)....try posting a wanted ad here,the cabe,and also classic bicycles for the wheels....
ive gotten some in really good shape and great prices from members here and the cabe
good luck and looking forward to seeing this on the road again!

Back