Must have tools

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey everyone,

I've got a walmart card burning a hole in my pocket so i fugured i'd bblow it on tools and what not. What are the must have tools that ya'll are using from wallyworld? Woodbleach, etc...
May as well add harbor freight in there too.

-Brad

harbor freight wrenches are now "guaranteed for life", and work well for me.
I beat on them when I have to, and have not had a problem.
I know they are not snap-on, but I don't make a living with mine.

Don't forget to get a set of allen wrenches, both SAE and Metric.
You will only use 3 or 4 sizes most of the time.
I have mine out of the set, stuck in a block of rigid foam so that they are handy.
Or, you could pick up a couple of those folding allen sets in the bicycle dept at wal-mart.

Pretty much general hand tools will do 99% of bike tasks.
There are some specialized tools you will probably pick up as you go (Park Tools).
About 3 sizes of the thin cone wrenches are really handy to have for wheel work.

I don't think harbor freight will take your wal-mart card :D :D

Get any/all of the following:

0000 steel wool
Wd-40
Liquid wrench penetrating stuff
Large adjustable wrench
One of those big plumbers wrenches that allows you to slide the fulcrum point to open or close up the size of the wrench
Crescent Wrenches, mostly US sized
Get some with the closed end style that has built in ratcheting
Quality screwdriver
Baggies and a sharpie to put stuff in and label
Rubber gloves (for the OA and steel wool)

Ball-end Allen keys are one of my favorites. Oft they will make it sooo much faster to spin a fastener in or out.
Nitril gloves, generally they are blue. For me anyway, they hold up to solvents that rubber gloves won't.
Cheap caliper, mine I got for $25, it does metric and inch, though not fractions.
Tub-o-grease, I use lith-ease from Napa that I put in a reusable tube.
Safety glasses, really. I know first hand, four guys that got eye injuries they had to go to the doctor for. They could have been prevented. Get seven pairs, they're cheap. Sorry to preach.
A Huffy Cranbrook! :lol:

+1 on the safety glasses, actually any safety equipment for the task at hand should always be used.

i will say it over and over, your shop starts with a high quality vise. If you have some money buy a top quality Wilton vise then figure out which kid and grand kid will inherit it.

Agreed, buy the biggest and best one you can. And a angle grinder too.

c.p.odom said:
i will say it over and over, your shop starts with a high quality vise. If you have some money buy a top quality Wilton vise then figure out which kid and grand kid will inherit it.

Also as well as a good bench vise get a good bench grinder, I can't tell you how many times I have used my two bench grinders.

Now we are talking. I use two right angle pneumatic die grinders, two 4.5 inch angle grinders, three 9 inch angle grinders, plus two straight die grinders. You need one set up all the time with a cut off wheel, different sanding disc, different grinding wheels and wire wheels. you also need several bench grinders, one for grinding and one for polishing.

c.p.odom said:
one for grinding and one for polishing.

Exactly what I use my two for. One is set up with a wire wheel and a buffing pad, other is set up with a coarse grinding wheel and a fine grinding wheel.

bike3%20023.jpg

:wink:

c.p.odom said:
Now we are talking. I use two right angle pneumatic die grinders, two 4.5 inch angle grinders, three 9 inch angle grinders, plus two straight die grinders. You need one set up all the time with a cut off wheel, different sanding disc, different grinding wheels and wire wheels. you also need several bench grinders, one for grinding and one for polishing.

Must I have NINE grinders? :shock:

It would be nice but start with one. All mine did not show up at once.

Back