Muscle Bike Sport Mag

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Here are a few pics of a 20 inch sport mag I remade from a original. These were sold in the 60's for Schwinn Stingray coaster bikes. I had this one powder coated silver along with the rim strip. I plan to have one done in black and maybe one color matched to a bike. Like red for a apple krate. It might be to much color on the bike. All comments are welcome. Here are a few pics and a link to more.

sportmagpowdercoated011_zps45358164.jpg

sportmagpowdercoated013_zps3818d7f5.jpg

sportmagpowdercoated014_zpse8beb6a3.jpg

sportmagpowdercoated016_zps5640cc4a.jpg

http://s853.photobucket.com/user/paradi ... r%20Coated

Those are cool! Did you machine the mags yourself?

Thanks. They were water jet cut for me. I originally made them for a 5 speed hub but was having trouble with the offset. I had the center recut for the red band hub like the originals. The next ones made will be stainless steel.

OK I'll bite ; are they going to be available for sale ? :roll:

Yes at some point I will have them for sale. Right now I have 6 of them. I am trying different colors with the powder coating. The next ones will be stainless steel so they can be polished out as much as someone wants. The originals were nickel plated

I see wheels with waterjet cut flames in the near future!
26 inch please...

Looks awesome jaxon!!! Do you still have an original to compare them to for us that haven't gotten to see the real deal up close too? The only thing that doesn't look smooth to me is the valve stem gap, just looks like there would be some way to clean it up a little , but I have no idea how the originals were either though. Don't see that being a problem though :mrgreen: stainless sounds nice too :D

Looks spot on with the oldie, Thanks for the pics :wink: the powder coating sounds cool but I think stainless would be a better seller overall. Do they mount to the hubs pretty easy or do you have to drill them out ?

Yeah the stainless will be much better. I have these 6 of these mags and powder coating is the cheapest way out...lol I will do a few different things with the powder coating to see how it comes out. They go together by just bolting them to the hub. Then the rim strip is bolted to the rim and the plates to the rim strip. There are 2 tabs bent up on the rim strip behind each spoke. That is how they bolt to it. The plates are drilled perfect to match the hub.

Did you ever make more of these?

Back