Muscle Bike Names

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What’s in a name? I think we all struggle with titling our builds and giving our bikes a name. I’ve changed bike names in the past, mid build. Sometimes it just doesn’t feel right. Is it a he? Or she? Or whatever? Does it evoke thoughts of muscle cars and hot rods? It’s rather difficult to find a name that fits the bike and also expresses your intent with the build. My dad had a friend who built an insanely fast Chevelle show car in the 70’s/80’s. It was named “Hot & Nasty” and was emblazoned on the side of the car. The car really was hot & nasty. I look for name inspiration through things like: Vintage Weird Wheels Trading cards, old Rod and Custom magazine features, old Gasser names, names of marijuana strains 🫢, and general juxtaposition of words. It’s fun finding a fitting name but it can be a tough task. Is it cool or corny? What is your process? What will be your build’s name?

IMG_3969.jpeg

Sometimes I don't get wrapped up in a name. Some muscle bikes were already named, and that's that if I'm doing a restoration. Like right now I'm restoring a '67 Eliminator and a '66 Rail. I didn't name those projects.

But for the contest I sometimes like to name them. I'm doing a Rail, but it'll have some special features, and I'm going to be journaling in pictures only. So I'm kicking around ideas that include the features and the silent theme.

For the other project, it's going to be a 10-speed. So I hopped on the name right away because naming it would help invigorate me to build it in my head. So I wanted to include the word "ten" into the name. So I did some research and listed out anything I stuck out as cool. I bounced them off the guy I'm building it for and he actually came up with the winner: "ConTENtious".

name as I build, remember "direction unknown". named because it had no direction it just flowed out my head as I made it, I then started on the stretched BMX which is a direct follow on from that bike and that is the same sort of design, its just flowing out and appearing before our eyes!
That BMX , because of the follow on , its a bmx, but stetched and now will have a parcel tray its only fair to call this little brother to "direction Unknown". ......"Unsure". because when peeps look at it thats exactly what they'll be....unsure of what it really is or what its for!
so to answer your question, I really like naming my bikes or projects but like to wait it out and see how its progressing before I name it!

Over here in the Philippines, it's customary to name your vehicles, whether a bike or a car. All my bikes have a name, from Bamboozle to Chrome Molly to Frankenscoot.
227678-4-Sep-done.jpg

190277-9-Apr-22.jpg

229687-29-Apr-23-kickstand.jpg

I also still have 1901 Mixte, The Wright Special, Bulldog, Splat Rat, Swing Rat and Second Helping. Orange Crusher also. I made Tiger for my wife.

225761-331805009-144923105137940-3670168413109633585-n---Copy.jpg

I already have a name picked out for the upcoming MBBO. The name I pick usually has to do with the bike, theme, or paintjob.

Rockin' Rollfast, HeadBanger, ALiEN FiRE and Little Neutrino all had pretty good themes but my Thunderbolt Greaseslapper and my Zombies Dream threads each were a theme where the bikes themselves were characters on their own inside amusing stories.

Back