Murray Classic Cruiser???

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Found this bike at a local antique store and they want $45.... Im gonna try to talk him down to $30-$35 but anyway do you guys think it is worth that? I really just want to find out how old it is and whether or not its something special.

uzeva2ep.jpg

epytyryj.jpg

2e2ytude.jpg

yhy7yqa2.jpg

vyze5uvu.jpg

zyvuqypy.jpg

ryvu9u5y.jpg

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk 2

i can't speak to the value of the make and model, but looking at the condition and how shabbily it's cared for, chained together outside with a bunch of other "old" bikes, where it's only going to deteriorate even more, I'd have a problem paying even $25 unless this is something that really pulls at your heartstrings.

I've really been looking for a 60's western flyer 26" men's but can't find one and this closely looks like the same design. These are my two idea bikes, I like the look of both but don't know until I find one....

ezujaneh.jpg

yzuzemyd.jpg

But as for the care of the bike you are right... the 1955 western flyer I found a few weeks ago was in better shape and I rode it same day as buying it. But this one will be completely disassembled anyway so it won't make much of a difference, I want it bare metal with clearcoat.

All depends on what it is worth to you!

If you are going to strip and rebuild it anyway, condition matters less than it otherwise might. If you want that particular style of frame and cant find it anywhere else then it is a bargain, if you are buying to resell as is, there is no profit in it, so it is expensive...

Me, if I wanted a bare metal board-track style bike with a cantilever frame and saw that, I would buy it... (I would flip those bars over as soon as I got home too, love to see where a project is heading!) :wink:

Luke.

Last of the American Murray bikes from 1998 when they started doing retro bikes with things like springer forks and bringing back the Mercury & JC Higgins names.

The red clear coat they used over silver has faded on it. I had the Valiant with the springer fork but I sold it for $50 even though it was at least worth $80 in the condition it was in so I think it is a little high on it's price for what it needs work. There is plenty of other bikes just like that one but in better condition

I'd def. pay $40 for it. Lot of potential there, and they are good bikes.

Actually it's from 1998 according to the silver decal above the bottom bracket and it's about when Murray started using Classic in their models names.

This bike isn't worth the effort! Cheap components and welds throughout! If you like the styling, spend some extra money and get an early '60's Schwinn cantilever bike. Everything will be better! They're fun to ride. I'm not even a Schwinnhead, but they were still very good bikes through the '60's, and built to last even that late in their history! At least you'll have a decent bike to ride until the Western Flyer comes along,...and it will.

I decided to pass on the murray they wouldn't budge on price and up close it was beat up pretty good. I'm just going to hold out until I find a 60's western or something even better.... I don't want to waste my time and money settling on something I just like the look of.. :cheers: thank you all though helping me out!

Latest posts

Back