Murray Boardtrack

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Rustbucket Racer- It rides, Aug 4

It's killer.I can't wait to see it. :mrgreen:

ExtraBlaze said:
It's killer.I can't wait to see it. :mrgreen:

Thank you! :D

I took the bike for a 10-15 mile ride today with the new bars, pedals and seat. It rides really well- it's geared faster than any other bike I have, and it really goes along. The only issue is that the wheels still need a little truing, and that the non-chainring side crank threads are stripped so much that the outer nut pops off every now and then. :shock: I think I can fix that though. I don't think the bars will stay- I think they look much nicer on another bike, and I think some cut off Torrington half moon bars flipped upwards would allow me to lean forward more than the current bars. The frame doesn't really look it, but it's pretty short. The '20's Persons seat fits nice, but the leather hardened up quite a bit over time :shock: It's pretty uncomfortable to ride on for long periods of time.

2a7zp6p.jpg

5b39uc.jpg

fyzfjo.jpg

10gn1o5.jpg

looks like a rusty old varsity fixie. :lol: take the seat apart, go to the local goodwill or salvation army and pick up the cheapest leather coat or handbag, and re-upholster.

stretch said:
looks like a rusty old varsity fixie. :lol: take the seat apart, go to the local goodwill or salvation army and pick up the cheapest leather coat or handbag, and re-upholster.

I don't really want to lose the original fabric- if I get really sick of it, I'll just trade it out for another seat.

Yea,I wouldn't mess with that seat it's pretty sweet.Looks good man.I love it.

Boardtrack fan said:
Looks great! I love those style bars. That seat is pretty rare I would imagine. I'm surprised the crank is stripped. Did you try a different lock nut?

Thanks! These bars are some of my favorites. I haven't tried a different locknut- I think that will solve my problem.

bikebuilder said:
A true RAT. This thing would be fun to enter in a short 20-30 mile race. Well done. :D

Thanks! I would really like to do that, actually. :lol: It would be pretty funny to take it to one of the larger, non-rat organized rides that do pop up, I'd be the only person riding a rusted out wartime bike. Getting a picture of it among all of the brand new road bikes would be pretty sweet. :mrgreen:

that first pic you posted is one of my favourites as well. The bike is really living up to it too.

my 2 cents: I'd radial lace the front wheel. I think it wold really set off the wheelset.

Well, I'm headed in a new direction with this one and changed the name. This is going to be my last rat build for a while. Will begin working on this one again tomorrow morning, and have many parts in mind...

The bike will become more of a boardtrack themed bike than anything else, keeping it simple in line with the fact that this bike was a civilian rationed issue in 1943. :wink:

Well, how does it look?

Simple change, but I think the trusses on the fork make it look a world better... (Lengthened them about half an inch at the bottom to fit) Thanks to Walker for the trusses :)

Bars are being changed. Wheels will eventually change... would like to change the stand out too... faded black longspring saddle is coming soon. 8)

k03moo.jpg

t5sp43.jpg

35mpj03.jpg

(Last pic is my favorite :D)

Ahh, I thought it looked familiar when I saw it on the Cabe earlier! I agree it looks much better and 'boardtrackier' with the truss rods! ~Adam

ifitsfreeitsforme said:
:lol: ditto. trusses fill it out. now it needs a seat. brooks, as low as possible to the frame.

i just cant wait! what is it? huh? huh? what didja get? :D

Back