Mtn Bikes: A 29er and a SS

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here's my two main rides. I may love all things pedal powered,but I'm a mtn biker first and foremost. Next tax time,I may try and score a more road friendly new bike,since I have to drive to the trail,and she only lets me once per week (the road is conveniently just past my driveway...go figure :p :lol: ).

2008 Redline d440 (the 29er)
3-22-09RandomBikePics1.jpg

2002 Redline Monocog (the SS)
3-22-09RandomBikePics7.jpg

The Monocog is spread all over the shed currently. Has her rigid fork back on,and a pair of whitewall cruiser tires,awaiting completion of her next incarnation (of which there have been several,all each different from the last).

Go find a dealer that stocks em and take a test ride,you won't regret it! Even on my twisty,hilly technical trails,the 29er rocks it all over the 26ers I ride with...even at 10-15 years older,a smoker and with the spinal injuries,I stay at the front of the pack with dual susser and long travel hardtails...it's the big wheels,man :D

The d440 (like mine) is around $600,the Monocog 29er even less (comes with 32x20T gearing this year). I highly recommend em both!

Nice bikes really like the Redlines, I'm pretty much the same way MTB most of time and the cruisers for the beach. Got a 2008 GT Peace 29er setup 2X9, these 29ers rail flowy singletrack and build/keep speed like no other plus climb like a billy goat, 2006 Iron Horse 7point3 still use for the real gnar gnar(those 2.5" tires and susser still sticks better on the ultra steep/rock garden stuff), and a 2005ish Redline Skookum built as a SS although more like a fake BMX cruiser for beach duty, but it too has been thru a bunch of iterations.

IMG_1135_s.JPG
IMG_1349_s.JPG
IMG_0929_s.JPG

Sweet bikes! I really dig that GT :mrgreen: My d440 is setup as a 2x9 also 8)

Almost pulled the trigger on a d440 same price pretty much, geo fit a bit better for me on the GT though, but 2X9 is the ticket, that third ring was just ridiculous for trail work top speed maybe 70 mph, bash much more useful. The Thudbuster seatpost made seated climbs over rough stuff a lot more comfortable also very back friendly, most reviewed component on mtbr and it has not disappointed.

Hey Jack,what is the third bike in your pics/ That fork looks .......!! Is that a 26!!??If so I really need the brand off it,it'll be going on something you might remember!haha.Ive wanted to build it quite a few times,but I just cant take the forks.

mattsbikes01250.jpg

bikejunkie said:
Hey Jack,what is the third bike in your pics/ That fork looks .......!! Is that a 26!!??If so I really need the brand off it,it'll be going on something you might remember!haha.Ive wanted to build it quite a few times,but I just cant take the forks.

Looks like slow progess on that Humu.

That fork is a DMR brand Trailblade 2, 26" fork, you can get `em in 20mm, 14mm, and 9mm QR dropouts, but they are expensive new, way more than the frame cost :( . Got this one for like $75 delivered off ebay had been mounted but not really used luckily the stem was cut to the perfect size, when new these are about double that price(and more like triple for the 20mm). Took awhile for the right one to pop up but they do come up.

Yeah fork prices are throught he roof!I did find at my lbs a set of 26'' Landing Gears thats probably gonna go on this.I was also trying to get a price on the Volume Sledgehammer fork.But Volume is back ordered and wont give an eta or price.The shape on those forks is .......,but I just noticed that they are suspention corrected.I want a more bmx fork than mountain bike.sweet line up ya have!

Not all fork prices are sky-high...that sweet black rigid fork of butted steel goodness on my 29er is from Vassago (their "ODIS" fork,same one that comes on their Jabberwocki SS's and Bandersnatch gearie-both 29ers) was only $129 + S&H,and rides SOOOO much better than the stock Redline fork ever coulda 8)

And yeah,LOL,2x9 really is THE steup for a true woods 29er :D

bikejunkie said:
Yeah fork prices are throught he roof!I did find at my lbs a set of 26'' Landing Gears thats probably gonna go on this.I was also trying to get a price on the Volume Sledgehammer fork.But Volume is back ordered and wont give an eta or price.The shape on those forks is .......,but I just noticed that they are suspention corrected.I want a more bmx fork than mountain bike.sweet line up ya have!

Yep, like 445mm AC if I remember right, the shape hides it better than a round arch though. But a Landing Gear fork would work a lot better on that frame.

Singlespeed92 said:
Not all fork prices are sky-high...that sweet black rigid fork of butted steel goodness on my 29er is from Vassago (their "ODIS" fork,same one that comes on their Jabberwocki SS's and **** gearie-both 29ers) was only $129 + S&H,and rides SOOOO much better than the stock Redline fork ever coulda 8)

And yeah,LOL,2x9 really is THE steup for a true woods 29er :D

Thought that looked like an ODIS fork, checked out a Jabber frame at an LBS when I was looking, very nice bikes. Your stock fork looked more like mine didn't it but without tapered legs? Only upgrade I need is a wheelset, these WTB all mountains won't stay true in the back and when torqued going uphill the wheel deforms enough that tire will very occasionally rub the Fr Derailleur lightly. Waiting for Shimano to sell the new stronger M529 36H hubs here in the US then get some Salsa Gordo or Semi rims laced up.

socal_jack said:
Thought that looked like an ODIS fork, checked out a Jabber frame at an LBS when I was looking, very nice bikes. Your stock fork looked more like mine didn't it but without tapered legs? Only upgrade I need is a wheelset, these WTB all mountains won't stay true in the back and when torqued going uphill the wheel deforms enough that tire will very occasionally rub the Fr Derailleur lightly. Waiting for Shimano to sell the new stronger M529 36H hubs here in the US then get some Salsa Gordo or Semi rims laced up.

Weird...I haven't had any problems with the WTB Speed Disc wheelset I added to mine. But then,I'm only about 155lbs,so limited horsepower I guess :p

The weight is part of it, I'm a couple of biscuits over 200# technically still a Clyde I guess. Had to replace the rear spokes on my7p3 susser as those kept popping so there's some history there :x

What tires are you running, look like a WTB?

Yep,the weight will do it,but 200 +/- isn't that bad. Yep,WTB's,Exiwolf 2.3" 8)

Singlespeed92 said:
Yep,the weight will do it,but 200 +/- isn't that bad. Yep,WTB's,Exiwolf 2.3" 8)

Thought so, the Exis came stock on mine but not enough grip for the trails I do around here. Switched to tried and true Nevegals, less volume than the Exis but tons more knob, the volume makes a fairly big difference in abuse I think.

Back