MTB Tribute Newsboy Special...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I posted pictures of this bike a few weeks ago in a mock-up stage. It is a 1989 Schwinn High Sierra I bought for $46. It was very abused and only used the frame and fork. I cleaned it up and clear coated it. I call it MTB Tribute because of the some of the NOS parts used are some of the big MTB names from the '80's and '90's. I have to still put on a double legged kickstand. The single leg doesn't work well with the basket.
Grips- Ritchey
Stem- NOS Tioga T-Bone
Wheel Q/R's- New Sun Ringle
Pedals- WTB Grease-Guard
Brake levers(Integral bell)- Cannondale
Fenders- SKS
Rear rack- Nashbar
Rear BMX Caliper- Teknic
Front V-Brake- Avid 5
Basket- Wald Giant Mesh Delivery
Seat- Selle Royal Manhattan
Rear Derailleur- NOS Shimano 1993 LX
Front Derailleur- NOS Suntour XCE
Chain- NOS Shimano HG-91 7 speed
Cassette- NOS Shimano HG-70 12-28 7 speed
Shifters- Shimano MC-40 STX/Alivio 7 speed
Crank- New Shimano MC-442 22-32-44 w/ Chainguard
Wheels- Custom built Araya RM-820 rims, 14g spokes, SRAM 9.0 front hub, Shimano Exage w/Hyperglide cassette body 7 speed rear hub
IMG_0183.jpg

IMG_0197.jpg

IMG_0207.jpg

IMG_0212.jpg

IMG_0204.jpg

IMG_0205.jpg

IMG_0203.jpg

IMG_0202.jpg

IMG_0211.jpg

IMG_0210.jpg

IMG_0209.jpg

IMG_0208.jpg

IMG_0206.jpg

IMG_0198.jpg

IMG_0200.jpg

Nice job. Those baskets are cool. Creative use of the rack on the back. I have one those on a bike but left it up front.

The bike originally came with a u-type rear brake. The studs were too big and too far up for normal cantilever/v-brake applications. That's why I put the bmx caliper on. I used the rack to kind of clean up the rear. That caliper pivot bolt also acts as a fender support and a rack support. Very busy bolt. The Florida plate? No particular reason. I have some vintage bike plates and I thought that one looked good on it.

Nice Job ..nice components..bet it rides sweet.. :)

I'm all about comfy these days! :)

UPDATE:
Here's the bike with centerstand and seatpost bolt
IMG_0305.jpg

The graphics look to be the same lettering. Most likely the same year(1989).

I was an honest to goodness paperboy for a couple of years '67-'69. I would have been proud to deliver papers on your bike. 8) Real nice. The center stand is something I never had (I used a Schwinn Typhoon) and my bike dumped over countless times with a bag full of papers on the bars. Along with that center stand, if you could come up with a way to lock the steering that would never happen to you. Gary

I made sure the centerstand puts all the weight on the front. Seems to hold it still pretty well. When I was in 2nd and 3rd grade, my neighbor buddy kid had an older brother with a yellow Schwinn Heavy Duty that he delivered papers on. When I was in 7th and 8th grade I had my own paper route. My bike? A Schwinn Cotton Picker. No basket. I used the bag.

Back