Motorized Panther Woody

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a few photos of my current build

bikes-woody056.jpg

bikes-woody055.jpg

I have a local guy who I have complete confidence in to fabricate a metal tank for this thing, but I can't afford it.
So I built this tank out of some old shelves that were sitting in my garage.

As you can see, it's not finished yet.
The motor mounts have to be modified a bit to fit properly, but should only be a few days before it's done.
Thought you guys might appreciate the build.

Also- If anyone knows of what I can use to seal up a wood gas tank, please let me know.
I've already sealed this one up using a "fuel-safe" epoxy (or so the manufacturer claims anyway). We'll just have to wait and see if it will remain sealed with no gas leeching into the wood or adhesives (I'm keeping my fingers crossed and throwing mad mojo at it but we'll see).

Anyway, Great site- glad to be aboard,
Johnny

I use POR-15 to seal MC tanks. On one occassion, used a cardboard box to catch the residual sealer; next day noticed it was dry and poured a small amount of fuel in the box to see what would happen, the fuel did not leak out & eventually evaporated.

So, I thinking you could use the POR-15 sealer for your wooden tank. Ideally, a rubber bladder or metal insert would be best.

BTW this build rocks.

I need to save for a springer, lol. Everyone has one and I feel left out. The wood is different, I like it! Nothing like a black bike.

yeah- I need to remake the bracket to attach it to the seatpost clamp. It should work out fine ( I hope).

As for the carb angle- it's the way the engine is mounted in the photo- I'm gonna have to modify the front mount -I think I'm gonna mount a u-clamp rather than drilling through the frame to use the universal mount that came with my kit.
right now the rear mount isn't sitting quite right either, but in the end all should fit snugly

This bike is beautiful!

Awesome job on the tank.

I'm thinking epoxy resin will probably do the trick.

NIce! i like the wood tank. it gives it a real beachy feel. are you running a 24 in the rear and a 26 up front? looks awesome. im getting ready to use some por-15 on my peanut tank. ive heard nothing but good things. is that a repop monark fork? if it is you might wanna do some research on them here. theyve been known to be pretty weak. heres one link (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=26659&p=265321&hilit=monark+fork#p265321) theyre are more burried. nice build!

The Monark Fork is okay if you reinforce it. Fellow RRB member can help you with this issue at [email protected].

He sells the non-reinforced & reinforced Monark Fork.

I actually purchased this fork from norm at venice motorbikes- he suggested I go with the re-inforced one as well, but I couldn't afford it-

yeah, I've taken a look at some of the complaints about this fork-
I've actually just got a new job, so I've completely stopped the build until I can pick up a few parts (hopefully this won't bite too heavily into my first paycheck), but my confidence in this fork has been seriously shaken.
I have even been considering whether or not I believe I can fashion my own monark style springer fork from an original schwinn non-springer fork, but I don't know how realistic that is.

We shall see I guess. but I think either way, I've decided this bike is going to get some upgrades from the standard engine kit and current fork. I hope it doesn't end up looking like a joke. I'll love it either way but you know how just because you can do something, doesn't necesarily mean you should? I wonder if my thinking is heading me down that road. Maybe, maybe not. Either way this will be educational I think.

They can be reinforced by a competent welder, and there have also been posts on here about using a different fork for the rear (main) legs. It might not be that difficult to incorporate the Schwinn fork.

Back