"MotoDromo Special" FINISHED!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BRAVO buddy! That is a work of art!

MDCSpecial24-10.jpg

So nice.

Throughout this whole build ive been debating whether to paint the bike or maybe try some patina work, but ive always wanted to do a bare metal build tooo_O
I mentioned the patina thing to my buddy and he happened to have some of this stuff so I gave it a test.

Ive always been a huge fan of scalloped paint jobs so I masked off a piece of left over sheet from the tank and with one coat and about 20 min this is how it turned out:eek: I cant believe how well it works.

If I do use it I will probably only patina the tank a bit... what do you guys think?:39:

So your another one coming to shiny side? Find the hooligans tent we are trying to get all the rat rod bike guys there

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

I'm not that into the whole 'rust' thing as you can probably tell from my bike.:rolleyes:

Just kidding of course, I think it would look very cool! :thumbsup:

Haha, I didn't think you would like it;) I did notice a lot of rusty builds this year tho so I didn't want to jump on the bandwagon... but it just looks so cool and I really think I need some contrast to the bare metal.:39:

Do it!

Luke.
OK!:grin:

So your another one coming to shiny side? Find the hooligans tent we are trying to get all the rat rod bike guys there

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk
Yup!:grin: I started the "RRB BONINE builds at Shiny Side Up 2014" thread in the discussion page;)

Now that Im done with all the big modifications and fab stuff, I started looking at all the little details I could do to clean the bike up even more. First I thought that the original mount for the headlight was too tall and I think the light will look much better lower.

I didn't take pics of the process, but I welded a nut to a washer and after cutting down the tabs on the headlight bracket I welded the washer/nut combo to the bottom of the cut down bracket, then I ground down and filed the washer to match the bracket profile.

Then I decided to modify the top fork tubes by grinding them down at an angle to go along with the partial pointy theme I have going on.

I also made a little round plate and welded it to the top of the tube, and after a few minutes with a file I was really able to clean up the weld:grin:I'll do the other one tomorrow, and I might also do the bar ends. And if I cant find something cool to put in the middle steering tube cap ill weld it closed too.

Thanks for looking!

Looking good and the finishing details are really good.
The final look at it as a whole then tweaking it with such well done little improvements shows you have got confidence in what you see the bike as.
Shiny side up just sounds like a suitable debut for this bike too, lots of shiny.:113:

Looking good and the finishing details are really good.
The final look at it as a whole then tweaking it with such well done little improvements shows you have got confidence in what you see the bike as.
Shiny side up just sounds like a suitable debut for this bike too, lots of shiny.:113:
Thanks! that's exactly how I feel about the bike. This is the most fabrication ive ever done to anything, so as I've progressed on my build, and hearing all the humbling feedback, I've really been getting more confidant in my work.:thumbsup:

I was looking through my random bicycle treasure junk and I found this cool little cap from an old road bike that I thought would look cool covering the top of the steering tube.

I found a washer that fit perfectly in the tube nut and welded a small speed nut to it.

Then using s flat machine screw I just tightened the cap on from the top:grin:

Then I finished off welding the other fork tube and filing it smooth.

After finishing that I couldn't help myself and went for a little ride:grin: The bike really rides nice and is surprisingly comfortable. Also I don't hit the tail light when I go over bumps so that's a bonus! The riding position is a little strange, but surprisingly comfortable. I brought my camera with me and I had to strap the bike stand to my camera bag:rolleyes: Anyway even though Im not quite finished yet, I had to take a few nice shots of MDC Special in the wild. :grin:

Thanks for looking!

Latest posts

Back