More unenvited neighbors dropping by!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
At 3:00Am i heard some noise downstairs. thought it was my 5 yr old, turned out to be one of these rascals on the side deck trying to run off with last nights turkey carcas. It was dark outside and when i turned on the light on the deck i could just barely see something cat size and dark. I opened the door for a better look. Could have grabbed him (the kids have been asking for kittens, they would never know the difference :wink: ) These guys are kind of the forest bad A@@

fishra.jpg

fishertrack1.jpg

Some interresting highlights:

Fisher are woodland animals, and among the most effective predators on land. They are also the fastest American animal in trees. Females are less than half as big as males, yet command higher fur prices due to an extremely soft and silky fur. Also known in areas as fisher cat, black cat, tree fox or pekan, fisher have been known to follow traplines, destroying the catches before the trapper arrives. Destruction of woodlands and high fur prices caused population declines up until the 1940's, but protection and reintroduction's have encouraged good fisher populations in many suitable habitat types.

Fisher have 38 teeth, including four sharp canine teeth and flat topped molars to aid in chewing. Five toes register in fisher tracks and the inside toes are smaller and placed behind the other four. The fisher cannot retract it's claws and they are usually dulled somewhat by constant contact with the ground and rocks.

Fisher are skilled at killing porcupines. Attacks are to the face of the porcupine as the fisher circles and circles the porcupine who attempts to keep it's back toward the fisher. After repeated attacks to the quill free facial area, the porcupine becomes vulnerable to a throat attack. Porcupine are not safe when climbing trees, as fishers simply attack them from top side. Porcupines may be safe from fisher attacks when they are on branches and facing away from the fisher, or when they are in a position to hide their faces in a crevice or hole. Fisher often clean these skins as clean as if they had been skinned by a man. Fisher droppings often include quills, which seem to pass through the digestive system without ill effects.
Uneaten foods are usually cached for later use by fishers and the species will sometimes deposit their musk on the uneaten portions to discourage other animals. Fisher also eat carrion and substantial amounts of wild berries in season.

You're absolutely right! They are "bad A@@"!...I've seen those, coyote, lynx, moose, black bear and even pumas.......We call them fisher cats, they scare me.

Down the road from me is the Squam Lakes Natural Science Center http://www.nhnature.org, they have: skunks, Fishers, fox, deer, 2 bobcats, 2 mountain lion's, Eagle, several large hawkes and predatory raptors, big barn owl, turkey vultures, 3 bears, otters and so forth. Worth the visit!

I have coyotes regularly in the woods around my house, close enough that you can hear their foot falls in dry leaves but even with a high power flashlight you cant see a thing.

I kept the camera near the door last night but Mr. Fisher didn't return.

Hey Walker,if you can install an over sized hamster wheel under the top tube with a chain running to the rear hub you might get some use out of those critters,just hang the turkey carcas from the handlebar and away you go! Just don't forget to build a cage around the hamster wheel so you don't loose a leg.What do you think? Body by Schwinn/Powered by Fisher :D :D :D

Did you catch the mink? I want to recover my banana seat and that would make for a nice luxury look and feel,i'll take two-how much for shipping? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

yes, but you have to use Fisher Cat's and a trebuchet (very dangerous but worth it)

There was one Tom with his tail all fanned out and the rest were all hen's. probably close to 30 birds. They got jumpy when i opend the door, and took flight when i stomped my foot on the deck.

Last fall we had a hen with a limp living in the front yard. She would sleep under the kids jungle gym. I though it was pretty cool until I noticed all the poop! Coy dogs probably got her.

SCHWINNRAY69 said:
Me+Fisher Cats=SCARED :cry:
If you saw how they used to treat for possible rabies infection, you'd be even more scared. :p Giant horse needle :shock: to the gut :x repeated several times! :cry:

Now I'm even more scared :cry: :lol:
deorman said:
SCHWINNRAY69 said:
Me+Fisher Cats=SCARED :cry:
If you saw how they used to treat for possible rabies infection, you'd be even more scared. :p Giant horse needle :shock: to the gut :x repeated several times! :cry:

Latest posts

Back