Montgomery ward hawthorne year?/type

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0190.jpg

I recently posted this pic on another topic but I would like to know what year it is. I have done loads of research and nothing popped out and said that is the bike I have. So I totally restored and went through all the parts this took about a month or more but I finished two days ago. Like in the last post I had I will explain what it has. Brass looking front emblem, 26' rims, three gilled front forks which had tons of brass welding, a star shape sprocket, a cowboy belt and buckle for the hub shine, and the breack says, musselman break co. Western flyer. Oh and the fenders are not in the picture I have not finished those=extremely hard.

That’s not the original chainguard for either bike so it doesn’t help with identification or production dates. The Murray built bike could be from late 1940 but the curved seat tube on those models usually means 1941. 1939 versions and most 40 versions had a straight seat tube.

As for the thread bike, it is most likely an H.P. Snyder built frame and fork and can be dated to 1934-35. More clear pictures of the tube junctures of the frame could help pin the manufacturer down for certain. If the badge says Montgomery Ward Hawthorne and appears to be original to the bike then it probably is, at that time most MW bikes were supplied to them by H.P. Snyder.

I haven’t seen a period brake reaction arm that says Musselman and Western Flyer. Musselman made the hub and presumably it was originally placed on a Western Flyer bicycle which doesn’t agree with the Hawthorne badge as Western Flyer was the brand sold by Western Auto stores (akin to having a Chevy hood ornament and a Ford trunk badge). It is likely the rear wheel was replaced at some time.

Latest posts

Back