Monkey Wards

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this bike about a year ago at an auction. It has a mismatched set of wheels. Yesterday when taking limbs to the city dump I found a matched set of wheels for it so decided it was time to start working on it.

WardsHawthorn1.jpg

The reason for the name, my parents ran a Wards catalog store for awhile and Dad always called them Monkey Wards.

WardsHawthorn2.jpg

I could use some help with dating this if possible. Here is the serial number on the bottom bracket.

100_3751.jpg

I have looked at several on the internet but don't find any that have this type of pinch bolt for the seat.

100_3752.jpg

The handle bar stem is being stubborn but I am making progress on it. When I took the headbadge off it looks like it was originally a dark maroon. It has been repainted at some time but the paint is really poor. Should I leave it or repaint it?

Have Fun
Marty

Well no turning back now, I sand blasted it this afternoon. It has a small crack in the pinch bolt area that will need welded up.

SandBlasted.jpg

Shot it with some etching primer but forgot to take a pic. The fork in the head tube is from a Schwinn I am working on also, but at a much slower pace.

Have Fun
Marty

Doing some research and the bike in this thread looks very close. http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=30796&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=15

Except my frame has the horns at thr rear dropouts for a stop for the dropstand.

Not much done tonight, tried out some paint on an extra fork. Looking for a maroon,not sure this will be the final color. I am thinking maroon and ivory.

13653b3f.jpg

Please ignore the messy shop! I always want to work on projects instead of cleaning up! :D :D

Have fun!
Marty

Got the wheels cleaned up, bearings repacked and the tires mounted.

c49a3cf6.jpg

And the off white on the front of the frame.

39bb6389.jpg

Have Fun!
Marty

65Slick said:
Please ignore the messy shop! I always want to work on projects instead of cleaning up! :D :D
Looks pretty darn organized to me. My garage floor reminds me of when I was a little kid and would dump out my legos all over the floor when I do a project. I do as much as I can after the kids go to bed and that doesn't leave me much time for cleaning up...so, I do it all at once when I'm done. lol
Bike looks great! I'm still learning a lot about these old bicycles, but that pinch bolt on the seat stays for the clamp is pretty cool! I also like the looks of your tire/wheel combo

Got some color on it. I bought some pintstriping tape from Advance Auto parts and ended up throwing it away! The paper backing was sticking to the tape. So it will be neext week befoe I can get some more and then clear it all.

6b59fdc9.jpg

Have Fun!
Marty

Got some 3M gold pinstriping and put it on tonight. Along with spraying on some clesr.

ec189e01.jpg

Heres a close up of the pinstripe.

5f0db924.jpg

And the fork.

968ce49e.jpg

Have Fun!
Marty

Looking Good!!!!! 8) :mrgreen:

Got some time to work on this today.

Started on the headbadge, someone hit it with a wire wheel too hard at some time.

be2ed302.jpg

I wanted to paint it to match the gold pin strip.

Found some gold spray paint, but think it is too much.

75c857f5.jpg

Masked off the H

037cddd5.jpg

And how it looks now

c2750198.jpg

Will have to let it dry good before doing any more.

So started on the seat. It was rusty so brushed off most of it and hit it with some zero rust and let it dry. I am going to use an old mouse pad for padding.

1450fe5e.jpg

3M spray glue was used to glue the pad and vinyl to the seat pan.

514483e1.jpg

Used an angle grinder with a sanding wheel to feather out the edges.

629d19b0.jpg

And then put the vinyl on.

4d12a8e7.jpg

Don't think it turned out too bad for a first try!

May get some more time to work on it again tomorrow.

Have Fun!
Marty

That seat turned out really good! Great use of old mouse pads!!!

Been awhile, i recovered another seat. This time in black. The maroon looked good but clashed with the maroon paint on the bike.

Had to change to a different set of wheels too. Reminder to self, make sure when mocking up to air the tires to full pressure!

Still need a chain guard but otherwise finished.

ff4886af.jpg

I think the headbadge turned out pretty good considering what it looked like in the begining.

23c6374a.jpg

Have Fun!
Marty

Marty, great looking job.
Kenny

Back