Mom and Dad's Christmas bikes (DONE!!!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had planned on documenting these builds, but I simply didnt have time. I just got the clear sprayed so I have a few hours of downtime to get this posted.

This is what I started with...
001.jpg

010.jpg

These will be more of a refurbishment, not really getting the rat treatment. Not a full on restoration either. Those fenders were a royal pain in the butt... seemed like it took forever to get em straightened out.

Sneek Peek pics....
022.jpg

023.jpg

025.jpg

After the clear cures, I will be making a mad dash to get em assembled, got most of the other parts ready to go, still waiting on a dropstand from Memory Lane, it should arrive Thursday!

Re: Mom and Dad's Christmas bikes (sneek peek)

Ha yeah :D

That was my wife's idea, I originally planned on making them matching, but im glad the wife changed my mind. Even the scallops are a mirror image. I cant wait to get em put together and sitting side by side.

really beautiful work and a great choice for xmas gifts! :D digging the flip/flopped paint schemes also!

450redrider said:
Oh man I can't wait to see these done they're looking awesome

Thanks man.... Soon, very soon!!

cman said:
Nice paint work.
Thank you sir

dogdart said:
classic colors , are those Colson's ?
I believe the Men's is a Hawthorne, never really figured it out, but I believe that's what it is. Pretty sure its also a 1936.
The Woman's has a Firestone Pilot badge. Not sure what year

The colors were loosely based on the original colors of the Men's frame.

This all started a couple months ago when my 74 year old Dad says... Hey why dont you try to see if you could find me a 1937 bicycle. Ive been putting him off ever since. So come Christmas day, he should be very surprised!!

aka_locojoe said:
Wow the paint looks great.
Very cool bikes you started with.

Thanks Randy

Cool bikes, but man they were ROUGH!!!

Complete and total teardown and buildup, I even took off the fender braces, one of them was broke so I welded it back together. About the only thing I didnt take apart... the bearings :shock:

Forgot to post the other chainguard pic...
024.jpg

And yeah Im gonna try to get a pic of them when they first see the bikes.

They are coming together... slowly! so far the womans bike has been fighting me every step of the way, but Im winning!!

Well... no it isnt, I was halfway thru repairing the one I got from you, and Tim donated one that was cherry. It saved me a bunch of time!

But... I will go ahead and finish the repair on the one that was chewed up. Shouldnt be able to tell it was messed up when Im done with it.

Wow that looks cool! Great job on both bikes so far.Looking forward to pics of when they see them!! Brilliant work

Back