mixte frame 10 speed chopping

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a pretty good teardrop shaped frame with essentially 4 cuts and one braze joint, i wonder if anyone else has done this? starting with a twin top tube "mixte" or "mixie" road bike from early '80s, i cut off the top rear triangle, cut the downtube near the BB, then heated and bent the front end into some nice curves untill I had raised my bb enough to run with 20 in wheels, then had the bb/ downtube joint re- fillet brazed, and I had people asking "what kind of 70s chopper frame is that?"

Sorry I'm new to the photo thing- new to this site generally. the photo instructions were really vague- can anyone help? I better do the photobucket thing i guess

chopperjosca.jpg

Thanks a lot cman. Sorry for image quality, was taken at dusk in a great hurry. however, you get a rough idea. this was one of my earliest, rattiest ratrods, being my first true chop (although I tricked my artschool technician into doing the brazing). you can see my home made panelbeaten bucket banana covered with heavy leather and 'corset' lacing, also the home- made stick shift for shimano 3 speed hub

my next version- to be a single speed with 26x1 tires and small track racing forks probably. most likely I will set up with BMX cruiser bars or similar slopey riser bars. I wanted a near vertical head tube for tricks and nippy handling, and also my seat right over the cranks. sort of a classic ratty BMX- fixie hybrid. just need metal for dropouts!
newexmixte005.jpg

newexmixte007.jpg

Latest posts

Back