mixte bikes

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have three or four mixte style bikes.Mixte bicycles have been around longer than I realized. I was thinking that I would collect that style bike , then it occured to me that I buy anything on two wheels. Some of the ones I have bought just happen to be mixtes. Anybody else have one? let"s see them. I will post photos of mine tomorrow. 8)

gowjobs said:
I'd like to make a mixte-based chopper next year... I like how they look with the upper seat stays removed and the seatpost shortened.

i was thinking the same and got one to experiment with a tandem chopper, but i couldn't get it to work like i wanted and cut the frame up for something else. if i find the right 24" mixte i may try it again 'cause it's an idea that won't get out of my head.

Here is one I started..
100_1085.jpg

g-ratter said:
Please educate us ignorant ones. What is a mixte?

A mixte, although considered worldwide as a girlsbike and absolutely not everyone's cup'o'tea, in fact is a bike with the typical 'unisex'-frame like this:

mix_herr_rudolf_1.jpg

^ As found in my parents shed, ready to go to the dumpster...

mix_109.jpg

^ As entered in the RatRodBikeBuildOff #4 'Billet Bullet'.

mix_175.jpg

^ Initial make-over after a full frontal accident.

mix_206.jpg

^ As it sits right now.

My mixte buildthread. (lot's of custom fabrication pics...) (RRBBO4)

As much as I like the look of a chopper made out of a cut-up mixte-frame, no grinder is gonna come near mine. I love it the way it is... Girlie or not, it's the best riding bike I've ever had. Very light and fast.

I typically harbor the normal amount of disdain for the 70's-80's women's frames but the mixte is one that gets a free pass in my book. That straight tube from the head tube to the rear dropouts does something really cool the the design and I have a mild fascination for them.
I spotted one just this past weekend that had undergone the fixie treatment and was locked to a post near the corner of Wabash and Balbo in Chicago. It was really cool.

I have always considered anything with out a top horizontal tube a women's style.
I guess you learn something new everyday. Thanks for the info.

herr rudolph , man that bike looks good any which way you do it.What kind of bike is it?
Tailwinds, if it had undergone the fixie butcher, pardon me,conversion, it would be a fixie mixtie, wouldn't it?

@ Thom:
I remember searching for simmilar frames here on RRB. There were quite a bunch... :D
My bike is an Avanti 'Avant Mix' (Australian). At least, that wa what the stickers told me... Click the link to my buildthreat in my previous post above for lots of info and pics.

Oh I forgot:
'Mixte' is a French translation for 'unisex'.
But don't forget 'Unisex' is a word made-up by marketingpeople! Just a way to sell bikes on another market...

Back