Military bike for the wife

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with a Huffy frame I had been building for myself but I started working on my stretched cruiser and never finished it. My wife like the frame and asked if i could do a military theme for her but in matte black instead of green.
i.ashx

This is a mock up of what I was going for.
i.ashx

I striped it down to get it ready for paint.
i.ashx

i.ashx

This is where it is at now
i.ashx

I found the saddle bag at the army surplus store and modified it to fit the bike. I also created the vinyl graphics for the fender and chain guard. I also changed the handle bars to lower ones.
i.ashx

i.ashx

Next up is to finish the tank plate and seat. I am thinking of using a seat from a Felt MP or recovering this seat in leather like my last bike. I also want to convert it to a 3 speed. We live close to the beach but there is a good size hill to climb to get there.

Need to get that 'tank' insert done that is in your rendition, I think that will bring it all tother!! Looking good- the amo can saddle bags in the rendition would have been sweet too but still like it- from a current military member.

Thanks Jkrate. I was going to use ammo cans but they were too bulky. This is going to be her regular rider so I didn't want to add the weight and these bags were a great find.

The tank plates are done. Now I just have to figure out how to attach them. I was thinking about plumbers strap or an old web belt in army green to match the bags

i.ashx

What seat is that? I've been looking for a brown seat with black springs...

Those saddlebags are cool. I went with the ammo can saddlebags on the bike my son and I built for RRBBO8:

DSCN0023 by sunliner500, on Flickr

DSCN0008 by sunliner500, on Flickr

They really don't add much weight, but they ride pretty low on this frame so it wouldn't be too noticeable if they did. They do make it a wide bike for storage and stuff, though. I think on your bike with them mounted up high on the rear rack, those soft bags look better than the cans would've.

Nice looking bike!

Voodoosmile said:
Thanks Jkrate. I was going to use ammo cans but they were too bulky. This is going to be her regular rider so I didn't want to add the weight and these bags were a great find.

The tank plates are done. Now I just have to figure out how to attach them. I was thinking about plumbers strap or an old web belt in army green to match the bags

i.ashx

I really like the idea of old web belt in army green, now that would be different!!!!!!

Ok I am going to call this one done.
i.ashx

i.ashx

i.ashx

i.ashx

i.ashx

I added a Nexus 3-speed wheel set and Felt military style seat. I repainted the tank plate to Army Green and use a web belt to attach it.

at some point i may add a pin up girl patch to the saddle bags but not any time soon. My wife is excited to take it out for a ride.

on to the next build. I am thinking about doing a Board Track style bike

Came out great, I love it!!!!!!!!!! :D

Machine Age Victim said:
I love that saddle bag, let me know if you come across another!

I used ammo cases on my build <a href="http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=73103" rel="nofollow" target="_blank" title="Link added by VigLink" class="vglnk"><span>http</span><span>://</span><span>www</span><span>.</span><span>ratrodbikes</span><span>.</span><span>com</span><span>/</span><span>forum</span><span>/</span><span>viewtopic</span><span>.</span><span>php</span><span>?</span><span>f</span><span>=</span><span>21</span><span>&</span><span>t</span><span>=</span><span>73103</span></a>

Machine Age
This is where I got the saddle bags. it is made for a motorcycle so I had to cut out about 5 inches in the middle and sew it back together to fit the rear rack correctly. I also added grommets and d-rings to help tie it down to the bike better. She rode to the store and loaded it with groceries with no problems.
http://www.majorsurplus.com/Saddle-Bag-P14674.aspx

I loved the look of what you and noodlenoggin did with the ammo cans but since she will be riding this regularly and we need it to fit on our bike rack I didn't want the extra bulk.

Latest posts

Back