MICHIGAN RAT RIDE

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! i was wondering if there were any rat rod rides in michigan. If not i would like to set one up somewhere in michigan for the fall. tell me what you think, I think it would be pretty cool.

what where and when FBM guys do a lot over on the east side but man that's a half a day drive for me.

throw some ideas out! pub crawl,kid friendly, what you thinkin?

Yeah this would be exactly what I was looking for... I was just asking on another post about any local shows and rides here in Mi. We should cordinate a ride/swap meet show..

TheItGuy said:
Yeah this would be exactly what I was looking for... I was just asking on another post about any local shows and rides here in Mi. We should cordinate a ride/swap meet show..

have you met the Detroit FBM guys? pm chainsaw he will give you the scoop for events on that side of the state.

maybe some day i will make a belle isle ride and meet those eastside cats...

Hey Upper, we're gonna be in Ionia next weekend, that's about as close as we'll get to you this year.
Here's some info ...
Once again Ionia is having its fall fest @ Bertha Brock Park..sept 18 (sat). Time 10am to 4pm..Last year we had a blast showing off the bikes and giving rides on a hack to kids. also had a game for the kids to play and working on another game
This is an family event with lots of things going on thruout the Park
Berth brock park address
2311 West Bluewater Highway
Ionia, MI 48846-8519

It's basically a bike show and FBM info is given out, but we do ride through the park whenever the need arises! 8)

After the show we'll be heading to Owosso that night for a big ride followed by a concert by the Twisting Tarantulas!

Jsheetz said:
Hey guys! i was wondering if there were any rat rod rides in michigan. If not i would like to set one up somewhere in michigan for the fall. tell me what you think, I think it would be pretty cool.

This Friday (today) is a pub cruise in Owosso. The Owosso Peddlers put on the ride and it's mostly old cruisers with a few FreakBikes and occassionally a couple of mountain bikes. Starts at 7:00 p.m. at the Rainbow Bar. It's about 8 miles long. They do this every other Friday, so two weeks from tonight will be the next pub cruise.

Sept. 18th is another Owosso Peddlers ride that ends at a Twisting Tarantulas concert.

In the past we've had several rides in Lapeer, Davison, Flint and Grand Blanc. Unfortunately all the guys (non Freaks)from those areas do a lot of talking but very seldom show. We have FreakBikers in Davison, Lapeer and Imlay City and they all show for most rides all over the state.

There's also a group who meet Sunday mornings and ride the Flint River trail, not sure what they're called but google something like biking the Flint River trail or check with the Al's Quick Axel (I think that's the name) in Davison or Assenmachers in Grand Blanc or Swartz Creek.

If you're interseted in hosting a ride this year or next please let me know and I'm sure some of the Freaks will show. The best thing to do is to plan it at least a month in advance. It gives everyone time to get ready for the ride. Also, for most, Sundays are better for the day rides. Saturday nights after 6:00p.m. is also usually good.

Anyone interested in when and where our rides are, please p.m. me and I'll try to keep you up to date.

TheItGuy said:

Saturday April 30th 2011: FBM-GL Rock the Isle, Ring the Bell
This is an all day ride and picnic. About 120 bikes show up through out the day
From there many of us head to Saline and campout for the Ann Arbor/Saline Bike Show and Swap Meet.
Sunday May 1, 2011 is the Ann Arbor/Saline Bike Show and Swap Meet. Lot's of fun!

The FreakBike Militia - Great Lakes has at least one ride a month ALL year long, check us out!

wow chainsaw!! thanks for all the info! i had no idea that rides took place that close to home, I did not know of anyone else in the area that shared the obsession!! I am planning on being in owosso for the next ride!

however i would like to plan a ride for early october in columbiaville, there is a bike trail called the southern links trailway. it connects columbiaville, otter lake, and millington. it is 10 miles from end to end. I was thinking for it to be more of an adult outing going from a bar in columbiaville, to another in millington, but am open to suggestions.

As far as I know there are no "scheduled" rides (other than the Peddlers Friday night ride) going on in Oct. We usually do a ride on the Paint Creek trail but it's just more of a throw together thing. I think you could get a decent first ride turn out (probably 10 to 15 bikes). Figure out a date and time and let me know.
To get the word out it's best to post on RRB, FreakBike Nation and Atomic Zombie boards (lots of Michigan guys on these boards). There are other messageboards out there but most only deal with mountain bikes or roadies in our area. Some of the guys also post their rides on Craigslist. When posting anything about a ride ALWAYS post that it's a BICYCLE ride. Bike means motorcycle to most of the population! :roll: If you want it an adult ride then definitely state it as such. Always let the riders know that they ride at their own risk and are responsible for who they bring. And ALWAYS state that it's a SLOW CRUISE! The youngest person riding with us just turned 4 and the oldest is 72.
Let the bar's (or other businesses) know in advance about the ride. Believe it or not, we've had a couple of bars that didn't want our business! :?
You could make up flyers to hand out or put in shops, but we've found that it's kind of a waste. Very few of the bike shops in our area want very little to do with old or hand built custom bikes. If there's not money in it for them, then they don't want to publicize an event. Al's in Davison is definitely one of those shops! My opinion is that "word of mouth" is your best friend! Let everyone you know or you see riding a bike know about the ride. Don't try to make this an all cruiser or custom ride. It's amazing how many guys show up on a mountain bike for the first ride and then build up a cruiser or FreakBike for the next ride! Got friends that don't ride? Invite them out anyways and they can look over the bikes, kind of a mini show.
P.M. me if you got any questions. Let make this ride happen!

ok so heres what i am thinking.

Sunday October 3rd
1:00 pm in Otter lake
the trail is called Southern Links Trailway it connects three small towns columbiaville, otter lake, and millington.(otter lake is in the middle, but is easier to find for guys not familiar with the area)
It will be a slow cruise approx 8 miles
and of course it will be open to anyone with a bicycle and some free time
I am also thinking just to keep it a family event so the kids can ride as well, there is a restaurant at the halfway point that we could stop at and get a bite

also if possible we could have a mini swap meet afterwards

let me know what you think

i am open to suggestions, and thankful for any advice!

Sounds like you got a plan.
If you are worried about the kids in our group and stopping at a bar ... Don't. If any of them come, they know how to behave in bars and their parents now that they have to keep an eye on them. A couple of the kids have parents that own bars and the others have grown up on our rides and are used to stopping for a beverage. They usually stay outside as do most of our adults. A few of us grab a pop or beer but that's about it.
I haven't ridden up there but I've heard about it. Gigs and I have relatives in Ottisville, Columbiville and North Branch. Remind me when we ride to tell you of my experience with the football rivalry between North Branch and Millington! :lol:
The swap meet is a good idea but it might be a little much for a first ride.
Usually people check out each others bikes and b.s. while waiting for the late comers. Be prepared for alot of other bikers, walkers, joggers, etc. to stop by and check things out, ask question and tell stories of their biking experiences.
After the ride most of the guys usually just hang out and talk for awhile, maybe get something to eat or drink and of course answer more questions from the gawkers.
Let me know when you get all things finalized and I'll help get the word out to our guys and other clubs we ride with.

Back