Memories of my 1966 Ross Barracuda -- the Lamborghini Countach of 1960’s bicycles

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bri

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I was hoping someone here can help this boomer-geezer fill in the gaps in his memory about my pride and joy when I was a kid: a 1966 Ross Barracuda I bought new. We called ’em banana bikes back then for the seat (uhhh, I guess). Yep, that’s an outdated term, but I’m gonna use it. Below are details I remember. Thing is, of all the photos of Ross Barracudas I see online, none match my bike. Please excuse my wordiness as it’s just my way. The ad from 1968 is similar, but it’s a 1-speed, and not a Barracuda.

Here in Western NY USA many of us in the burbs near Buffalo were Catholic, and so one’s First Communion at age 9 or 10 was a big deal, often with a party, and with lots of gifts, many of which were cash. My first bike (in 1964, I guess) was a cobbled-together fake banana bike made from old parts, none of which were originally a banana bike (the craze was likely new then). That bike didn’t work well as the rear axle/coaster was probably shot. A neighbor created this re-sprayed-gold POS, and charged me a coupla bucks for it as it was all my family could afford. I dreamed of a proper banana bike. Then I got my 1st communion loot.

My Mom used to work during the holiday season for a local catalog store called J and S Merchandise. The owner was a good guy (either Mr. J or Mr. S, not sure) because he allowed my Mom to buy anything with an employee discount. Mom probably couldn’t shut me up about wanting a real banana bike, so she went to J&S for their latest Summer catalog, just in from the printers. That I remember.

I’m not sure, but I don’t think the Summer 1966 catalog had a Ross banana bike, but I believe it did have Ross bikes. Mr. J (or S) called the factory, and got the scoop on their banana bike offerings. I believe we ordered it without knowing what it looked like. It took a while to arrive (well, a few days is a forever to a 10 year old, so who knows). The final price was quite reasonable, and maybe less than what a comparable ubiquitous vanilla Huffy cost. Huffy 3-speed bikes were everywhere, and boring in my view, much too plain and vanilla, and boring… did I mention boring?

Anyway, I believe some time in late Spring or Summer of 1966 I received a large bobbled-together box with my new bike, all ready to… be assembled??? “Isitdone, isitdone???!!!” If I remember correctly, we received no instructions, and maybe were given the factory phone number to call in case of a problem. Did we receive a late prototype, or early production model?

Then again, could this have been 1967, that is, did I wait a year to buy a bike? I don’t know. I doubt I could’ve waited a year after my First Communion loot was all counted.

By the way, right at this time my parents were splitting (separating) which is 1966 in Western NY was a rare thing. Add to that my maternal Grandfather’s ill health (he passed away that July). Life was complicated, and getting a new bike was therapeutic I suppose.

I believe I had to rely on my Mom and older brother to assemble the new bike. Not ideal. I believe they had to borrow tools to perform the assembly. But at some point (what seemed like many years later) the bike was finally assembled. I couldn’t wait to ride it. It… was… stunning! No one in my town had a bike anything like this! It was the Lamborghini Countach of 1960’s bicycles! And it was mine!

The details of the Ross Barracuda were what made it special. Yes, there were many of the ubiquitous vanilla Huffy banana bikes around, many with 3 speeds, but they didn’t have the unique visual features of the Ross Barracuda which so, so much set it apart.

And what a first ride it was! I hopped on, and the seat crashed onto the mini rear fender. What???!!! WHAT???!!! “Fixit fixit fixit!” The rear sissy bar (holding up the back of the banana seat) was super tall. And it was held up by a clamp on each side… a friction clamp, not a clamp with multiple holes. There were no holes in the bottom of the sissy bar, and even if you tightened the clamp a lot, the seat wanted to lower in the back.

What were the Ross designers thinking by using a friction-clamp set-up on the sissy bar? Plus, we had no shed or garage. To prevent my wonderful new bike from being swiped, we had to carry it down the basement stairs after I rode it, and back up the basement stairs the next day. With the giant sissy bar, it scrapped on the sloped section of drywall above the basement stairs. So, we had to buy a replacement sissy bar that was a little shorter, and which had holes in the bottom of the tube where in met the clamp. Issue solved.

Here are the details I remember about my 1966 Ross Barracuda.

Purple with white Barracuda graphics on the chain guard. This is about the time that Dodge, Plymouth, etc. muscle cars were coming out with wild colors, so a purple bike was a big hit, unlike the drab pale gold on Huffy bikes of that era. (Ross: 1 Huffy: 0)

Super tall sissy bar, ignoring the issues with the first offerings having friction clamps. (Ross: 2 Huffy: 0)

A primary chain sprocket with paisley cut-outs that looked great from the side while it was being pedaled. (Ross: 3 Huffy: 0)

Unique handlebars with a great curved-back look, unlike the more wild ones on later Barracuda bikes. Many folks thought those early handlebars were a great look, even though they seem subdued today. (Ross: 4 Huffy: 0)

Console shifter for the axle-shifter cable mechanism (not a derailleur) which looked so much better than the ugly round glob of plastic on Huffy three-speed shifters. (Ross: 5 Huffy: 0)

From what I remember, the Barracuda had plain basic tires, unlike the cool squared-off cheater-slick rear tires seen on the Huffy three speed bikes. (Ross: 5 Huffy: 1)

The Barracuda had basic side-pull brakes, which worked well enough. It had a plain white banana seat with simple cross stitching, which I believe ripped at some point, requiring replacement of the seat with something ugly (maybe with sparkles?) Ugh!

I spent summers with my maternal Grandmother in rural town 60-some miles from Buffalo. The Barracuda was an even bigger hit there as many of the families there were even poorer than mine.

Flash forward a few years to when 10 speed bikes were becoming popular. My Barracuda was by then too small for me as was growing into a 6-foot 3-inch tall teenager, so it was replaced by a Brand X (Sears?) 10-speed bike painted an ugly green (I re-sprayed it black in frustration). The 10 speed I still have, including the ugly orange permits stuck to an upright somewhere required by the college I attended.

But what about my beautiful Barracuda? Well, in the mid-1970’s we had to do a lot of work on the basement in my family’s house, and all old stuff had to be gotten rid of. The Barracuda was sold to a kid up the street (who had no bike) for $5. The father said he couldn’t afford even that much. I never saw the kid ride the bike, so I wonder if his dad flipped it. Oh well, water over the bridge, or however that goes. My old Ross Barracuda was never seen again, and I soon turned to driving cars not bikes.

My Ross Barracuda was a source or pride, but also of independence. I was able to get out of the house, and visit friends, etc. It was an important part of my life when I was 9-to-13 years old.

So, if anyone can help this old geezer remember his 1966 Ross Barracuda bike, I’d appreciate it. I have yet to see any images of a Barracuda like mine. Rhetorical question: how many do you think left the Ross factory with the friction-clamp set-up on the sissy bar? That issue had to have been fixed fast by Ross designers.

Thanks for reading my long-winded blathering.

–Brian in Elma NY USA

1968 Ross bike ad edited #2051.jpg

Hi,

I was hoping someone here can help this boomer-geezer fill in the gaps in his memory about my pride and joy when I was a kid: a 1966 Ross Barracuda I bought new. We called ’em banana bikes back then for the seat (uhhh, I guess). Yep, that’s an outdated term, but I’m gonna use it. Below are details I remember. Thing is, of all the photos of Ross Barracudas I see online, none match my bike. Please excuse my wordiness as it’s just my way. The ad from 1968 is similar, but it’s a 1-speed, and not a Barracuda.

Here in Western NY USA many of us in the burbs near Buffalo were Catholic, and so one’s First Communion at age 9 or 10 was a big deal, often with a party, and with lots of gifts, many of which were cash. My first bike (in 1964, I guess) was a cobbled-together fake banana bike made from old parts, none of which were originally a banana bike (the craze was likely new then). That bike didn’t work well as the rear axle/coaster was probably shot. A neighbor created this re-sprayed-gold POS, and charged me a coupla bucks for it as it was all my family could afford. I dreamed of a proper banana bike. Then I got my 1st communion loot.

My Mom used to work during the holiday season for a local catalog store called J and S Merchandise. The owner was a good guy (either Mr. J or Mr. S, not sure) because he allowed my Mom to buy anything with an employee discount. Mom probably couldn’t shut me up about wanting a real banana bike, so she went to J&S for their latest Summer catalog, just in from the printers. That I remember.

I’m not sure, but I don’t think the Summer 1966 catalog had a Ross banana bike, but I believe it did have Ross bikes. Mr. J (or S) called the factory, and got the scoop on their banana bike offerings. I believe we ordered it without knowing what it looked like. It took a while to arrive (well, a few days is a forever to a 10 year old, so who knows). The final price was quite reasonable, and maybe less than what a comparable ubiquitous vanilla Huffy cost. Huffy 3-speed bikes were everywhere, and boring in my view, much too plain and vanilla, and boring… did I mention boring?

Anyway, I believe some time in late Spring or Summer of 1966 I received a large bobbled-together box with my new bike, all ready to… be assembled??? “Isitdone, isitdone???!!!” If I remember correctly, we received no instructions, and maybe were given the factory phone number to call in case of a problem. Did we receive a late prototype, or early production model?

Then again, could this have been 1967, that is, did I wait a year to buy a bike? I don’t know. I doubt I could’ve waited a year after my First Communion loot was all counted.

By the way, right at this time my parents were splitting (separating) which is 1966 in Western NY was a rare thing. Add to that my maternal Grandfather’s ill health (he passed away that July). Life was complicated, and getting a new bike was therapeutic I suppose.

I believe I had to rely on my Mom and older brother to assemble the new bike. Not ideal. I believe they had to borrow tools to perform the assembly. But at some point (what seemed like many years later) the bike was finally assembled. I couldn’t wait to ride it. It… was… stunning! No one in my town had a bike anything like this! It was the Lamborghini Countach of 1960’s bicycles! And it was mine!

The details of the Ross Barracuda were what made it special. Yes, there were many of the ubiquitous vanilla Huffy banana bikes around, many with 3 speeds, but they didn’t have the unique visual features of the Ross Barracuda which so, so much set it apart.

And what a first ride it was! I hopped on, and the seat crashed onto the mini rear fender. What???!!! WHAT???!!! “Fixit fixit fixit!” The rear sissy bar (holding up the back of the banana seat) was super tall. And it was held up by a clamp on each side… a friction clamp, not a clamp with multiple holes. There were no holes in the bottom of the sissy bar, and even if you tightened the clamp a lot, the seat wanted to lower in the back.

What were the Ross designers thinking by using a friction-clamp set-up on the sissy bar? Plus, we had no shed or garage. To prevent my wonderful new bike from being swiped, we had to carry it down the basement stairs after I rode it, and back up the basement stairs the next day. With the giant sissy bar, it scrapped on the sloped section of drywall above the basement stairs. So, we had to buy a replacement sissy bar that was a little shorter, and which had holes in the bottom of the tube where in met the clamp. Issue solved.

Here are the details I remember about my 1966 Ross Barracuda.

Purple with white Barracuda graphics on the chain guard. This is about the time that Dodge, Plymouth, etc. muscle cars were coming out with wild colors, so a purple bike was a big hit, unlike the drab pale gold on Huffy bikes of that era. (Ross: 1 Huffy: 0)

Super tall sissy bar, ignoring the issues with the first offerings having friction clamps. (Ross: 2 Huffy: 0)

A primary chain sprocket with paisley cut-outs that looked great from the side while it was being pedaled. (Ross: 3 Huffy: 0)

Unique handlebars with a great curved-back look, unlike the more wild ones on later Barracuda bikes. Many folks thought those early handlebars were a great look, even though they seem subdued today. (Ross: 4 Huffy: 0)

Console shifter for the axle-shifter cable mechanism (not a derailleur) which looked so much better than the ugly round glob of plastic on Huffy three-speed shifters. (Ross: 5 Huffy: 0)

From what I remember, the Barracuda had plain basic tires, unlike the cool squared-off cheater-slick rear tires seen on the Huffy three speed bikes. (Ross: 5 Huffy: 1)

The Barracuda had basic side-pull brakes, which worked well enough. It had a plain white banana seat with simple cross stitching, which I believe ripped at some point, requiring replacement of the seat with something ugly (maybe with sparkles?) Ugh!

I spent summers with my maternal Grandmother in rural town 60-some miles from Buffalo. The Barracuda was an even bigger hit there as many of the families there were even poorer than mine.

Flash forward a few years to when 10 speed bikes were becoming popular. My Barracuda was by then too small for me as was growing into a 6-foot 3-inch tall teenager, so it was replaced by a Brand X (Sears?) 10-speed bike painted an ugly green (I re-sprayed it black in frustration). The 10 speed I still have, including the ugly orange permits stuck to an upright somewhere required by the college I attended.

But what about my beautiful Barracuda? Well, in the mid-1970’s we had to do a lot of work on the basement in my family’s house, and all old stuff had to be gotten rid of. The Barracuda was sold to a kid up the street (who had no bike) for $5. The father said he couldn’t afford even that much. I never saw the kid ride the bike, so I wonder if his dad flipped it. Oh well, water over the bridge, or however that goes. My old Ross Barracuda was never seen again, and I soon turned to driving cars not bikes.

My Ross Barracuda was a source or pride, but also of independence. I was able to get out of the house, and visit friends, etc. It was an important part of my life when I was 9-to-13 years old.

So, if anyone can help this old geezer remember his 1966 Ross Barracuda bike, I’d appreciate it. I have yet to see any images of a Barracuda like mine. Rhetorical question: how many do you think left the Ross factory with the friction-clamp set-up on the sissy bar? That issue had to have been fixed fast by Ross designers.

Thanks for reading my long-winded blathering.

–Brian in Elma NY USA

View attachment 227781
Excellent read. I hope someone can help you with images or details of your bike. Welcome.

BTW, I assume I quality for the Clueless Boomer Deferment with my use of the term "sissy bar" should that not be acceptable verbiage in 2023. But then again, my confused wondering may be even more unacceptable. OK, I'm overthinking it... "apologies" if any of my verbiage is inconsiderate at all. Thanks for the fast replies.

BTW, I assume I quality for the Clueless Boomer Deferment with my use of the term "sissy bar" should that not be acceptable verbiage in 2023. But then again, my confused wondering may be even more unacceptable. OK, I'm overthinking it... "apologies" if any of my verbiage is inconsiderate at all. Thanks for the fast replies.
Nope we still use sissy bar

Pops bought me a Ross Barracuda when I was 8 so that was 1968 looked just like this one that I found a picture of on Pinterest.
RossBaracuda.jpg

The seat was purple glitter I think... but this is just what I remember it as, single speed and all.

Thank you all much for posting replies and info. Allow me to make notes here.

The B&W ad I posted may be the closest on the sissy bar and original basic tires.

MT: is closest on explaining what happened to Horshack after Welcome Back Kotter went off the air. Didn’t know Ron P. was into bike rodeos. Gotta love his flop-hat of that era.

KB: thanks.

I: thanks for clueing me in. I try my best, but I’m not always PC when I need to be. Although [dramatic pause] I assume I qualify for the Non-PC Clueless-Geezer exemption.

GC: right on many points, such as color, chain guard, banana seat, handle bars, primary sprocket w/ paisley cutouts, etc. Not sure on rear fender (was mine shorter? – don’t remember, but I often had the proverbial spray-line on the middle of my t-shirt back when the street was wet). It’s a one-speed, not an in-axle three speed like mine. Tires appear to be replacements maybe, so can’t comment, but the Cheater Slicks (in general) maybe came to the market perhaps a year after my bike was made. Cheater slicks were something that impressed other bike owners (like me!). The short sissy bar is on so many of the Barracuda examples I see, unlike the high one I had originally. This is a good view of the curved lower structural bars on the Ross bikes. Good look. Was that a signature of Ross bikes?

U: thanks for 1966 Ross ad. The Barracuda on the right has hand brakes, but I don’t see a shifter, so is it a multi-speed? Color red is likely what they had to print the ad with, so can’t comment on the color. Seat is a little different, and it has the short sissy bar. The ad shows the longer rear fender (I don’t know which I had). Many aspects are right: chain guard, main sprocket with paisley cutouts, etc. I don’t believe I had white wall tires, like the ad. I also appreciate this ad because the bike in the lower left is much like my brother’s bike from the early 1960’s. I wonder if he had a 26” Ross boy’s bike. Headlight system (using 2 D batteries?), front spring rack, rear rack, seat graphics, reflective pedal inserts, and main sprocket all look like the bike my older brother had. That bike disappeared long ago, so I’m going by memory. His was a medium blue over white or silver paint.

Again, thanks much!

–Brian in Elma NY USA

Thank you all much for posting replies and info. Allow me to make notes here.

The B&W ad I posted may be the closest on the sissy bar and original basic tires.

MT: is closest on explaining what happened to Horshack after Welcome Back Kotter went off the air. Didn’t know Ron P. was into bike rodeos. Gotta love his flop-hat of that era.

KB: thanks.

I: thanks for clueing me in. I try my best, but I’m not always PC when I need to be. Although [dramatic pause] I assume I qualify for the Non-PC Clueless-Geezer exemption.

GC: right on many points, such as color, chain guard, banana seat, handle bars, primary sprocket w/ paisley cutouts, etc. Not sure on rear fender (was mine shorter? – don’t remember, but I often had the proverbial spray-line on the middle of my t-shirt back when the street was wet). It’s a one-speed, not an in-axle three speed like mine. Tires appear to be replacements maybe, so can’t comment, but the Cheater Slicks (in general) maybe came to the market perhaps a year after my bike was made. Cheater slicks were something that impressed other bike owners (like me!). The short sissy bar is on so many of the Barracuda examples I see, unlike the high one I had originally. This is a good view of the curved lower structural bars on the Ross bikes. Good look. Was that a signature of Ross bikes?

U: thanks for 1966 Ross ad. The Barracuda on the right has hand brakes, but I don’t see a shifter, so is it a multi-speed? Color red is likely what they had to print the ad with, so can’t comment on the color. Seat is a little different, and it has the short sissy bar. The ad shows the longer rear fender (I don’t know which I had). Many aspects are right: chain guard, main sprocket with paisley cutouts, etc. I don’t believe I had white wall tires, like the ad. I also appreciate this ad because the bike in the lower left is much like my brother’s bike from the early 1960’s. I wonder if he had a 26” Ross boy’s bike. Headlight system (using 2 D batteries?), front spring rack, rear rack, seat graphics, reflective pedal inserts, and main sprocket all look like the bike my older brother had. That bike disappeared long ago, so I’m going by memory. His was a medium blue over white or silver paint.

Again, thanks much!

–Brian in Elma NY USA
Now find one and build it then share with us

Now find one and build it then share with us
Well, that would be slightly more affordable than the green & white Superbird I've always wanted. Or, Pierce-Arrow, or Thomas Flyer, or Edsel, or supercharged flathead-V8 rat rod, or, or or...

So, if you're a "bike person" are you more likely to also be a "car person?" Gotta wonder.

The term Sissy bar come from motorcyclists calling the back of their seats sister seats and hence the term Sissy bar.

Well, that would be slightly more affordable than the green & white Superbird I've always wanted. Or, Pierce-Arrow, or Thomas Flyer, or Edsel, or supercharged flathead-V8 rat rod, or, or or...

So, if you're a "bike person" are you more likely to also be a "car person?" Gotta wonder.
I’ve owned two 49 fords, a coupe and a sedan. Also a 59 MGA, a 50s Rambler station wagon with a wood interior, a 1959 Rambler convertible, a 48 Buick, a 69 VW and a 74 Nova. My favorite vehicles have two wheels. Not counting 70s Japanese motorcycles, I’ve owned a 65 Jawa, a 66 Triumph Bonneville, a 67 Triumph TR6 6 which I bought new and still have.
8D1B3055-B20B-4A5D-9B9D-F570EBDD2D56.jpeg
51B2CD7B-5727-4614-9E0B-7D9215471066.jpeg

I also have a 57 Triumph.
D5FBA06B-2D6F-4049-AF5F-FF965ED6D91B.jpeg

I was a motorcycle guy because I couldn't afford the cars I wanted, and then motorcycles tried to kill me, so I came back to bikes. Dated a girl with a 72 Chevelle SS 454, my bro had a 69Dart Swinger, I had a hot hatch civic with an Integra engine swap, had an 82 Yamaha Seca 750 and a Honda rebel 250. Now I've got twenty bikes

I was a motorcycle guy because I couldn't afford the cars I wanted, and then motorcycles tried to kill me, so I came back to bikes. Dated a girl with a 72 Chevelle SS 454, my bro had a 69Dart Swinger, I had a hot hatch civic with an Integra engine swap, had an 82 Yamaha Seca 750 and a Honda rebel 250. Now I've got twenty bikes
My older brother also had a '69 Dart Singer ~52 years ago, orange w/ flat-black bumble stripe, black interior, 340-4BBL, 4-speed, etc. He had it repainted black, and left the stripe as-is, which looked weird with the original orange still there. I thought it was fast when I was a kid.

My older brother also had a '69 Dart Singer ~52 years ago, orange w/ flat-black bumble stripe, black interior, 340-4BBL, 4-speed, etc. He had it repainted black, and left the stripe as-is, which looked weird with the original orange still there. I thought it was fast when I was a kid.
One of my best friends had a swinger with a 440 ci mill and 4 speed. We went on a curvy bumpy road, flying over rail road tracks on the curve while I watched in horror as the guard rails got closer and closer at 140 mph and climbing. He was trying for 150 mph, while the krp front end and bias ply tires shook and felt like they were orbiting the car. The only reason I’m alive to relate the tail is because part of the headliner blew out the window at 140 so he slowed down. That was a scary awful car. It didn’t track well, wanted to go straight or else spin out. Donormobile.

The red one in the ad has a 3 speed twist grip shifter.

Here's a 1967 Ross Barracuda 3 Speed Stick Shift with Banana Seat & 54" Sissy Bar:

https://www.pinterest.ph/pin/bicycles-trikes-kids-bikes--72409506485090964/
Thanks for posting. That one is quite close. Mine did not have the round-base shifter assembly but had a small plate or "console" on top of the bar for the 3-speed cable shifter. And the sissy bar had a friction clamp, w/o holes, so maybe the one in the photo has the Ross designers' solution to the "dropping seat" issue. Fenders and basic black-wall tires seem to be what I had. I still remember the other kids would like to watch from the side to see the paisley sprocket cutouts rotate (one of my favorite features). I had no speedo on mine. Again, the photo is appreciated.

One thing I didn’t mention is that I have no photo of my Ross Barracuda. None. Photos were a luxury we couldn't readily afford, so we only took photos on special occasions. In the era of digital photography we don't remember that film (like for an Instamatic camera) and its processing were costly, especially before corner drugstores started performing the processing. We used to mail our exposed Instamatic film to a place called Skrudland Photo Service in, or near, Chicago. Mom found that was the most affordable. It took a coupla-few weeks for it to be returned.

Back