Melbourne has spawned another one!!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
G'day fellas, first of all I must say that this is a top site. I didn't think I was the only one, but there didn't seem to be anyone else out there who was into this sort of stuff around here until I got onto this site. So yeah, obviously I'm from Melbourne, where it is very easy to lose one's lisence.... but enough about that! I've always been into building things/breaking things, and when I was forced onto the street sans engine, the idea of doing it to pushbikes was a natural progression. Most of my mates reckon I'm a tool, and I'm sure they have their reasons, but here in old Melbs, it seems that if you don't drive a car, then you are basically outcast from society, which is sad really, because we have some beautiful parks, tracks and beaches here.
So I got addicted, and now I can't find space for all my "awesome valuable worthless crap" as my old man likes to put it...
Basically I wanted a BMX style bike because they are a good fit to me, and the old Schwinns are a tad pricey. So I went about ratting one. I hate most things that look brand new, don't know why, but rust, chrome, dints and whitewalls have always been the only option (when I was little my favourite car was a 56 Mercury, when all my mates wanted a Ferrari F40).
Ok I'll shut up and give you a taste...
27012008001.jpg

This how it started, except I had put the bars on
30042008005.jpg

30042008004.jpg

It was looking good, but too new, so I went for amore traditional look...
07072008.jpg

Then I got fidgety and wanted to keep building...
04112008003.jpg

Then I found a Schwinn (I think it's a crappy Chinese version, but still tough) for 100 bucks. Had to have it, and so I've chopped the other old girl and used bits from it to make this one the bad boy:
15112008006.jpg

29112008.jpg

I hope you can all dig it. Cheers.

Welcome! You'll fit right in here! Say, if you are ever in Sydney, check out my cousin Eve Patterson and her original oil-paint Australian landscapes....she has a unique perspective on an amazing continent. Nice bikes!

cooooooooooool bikes there mate i like the bmx style

but rust, chrome, dints and whitewalls have always been the only option

how about this for your liking
000_3473.jpg

000_3322-1.jpg

:shock: cool. it like part lowrider and with the pegs and no bannana seat or sissy bars, part freestyle bmx, minus a rotor. my biggest love in working with bikes is when me and my best friend at the time terry (rest in peace my brotha) had a 20" lowrider build off in his basement. he had a 70's bmx frame and i happened to have a skip tooth hawthorn circa 53' . we both made some nice rides and your are very cool. welcome home.

Cheers for the welcome dudes, it's good to know that there are others out there with the same affliction! Hey Ratafied, I saw ya bike on this forum a while a go, and mate, I got the shivers! That thing is as spot as you can get I reckon. I've always wanted to get that patina on my gear but I've just never had the heart to leave em out in the elements for long enough! Thanks again fellas, you won't have heard the last of me!!!!

crackedpiston said:
where it is very easy to lose one's lisence...
Not really, in fact if you don't break the law, you won't ever lose your license. :wink:
crackedpiston said:
old Melbs, it seems that if you don't drive a car, then you are basically outcast from society, which is sad really, because we have some beautiful parks, tracks and beaches here.
I'm seeing more and more Melbournians ridng every day, and I'm loving it. Which suburb are you in?

Geeeeeeee, really??????????????????????????????????????????????? The thought had never occurred to me!!!! Hindsight is a wonderful thing I guess, oh yeah, and maybe not having an old car that has a speedometer tolerance of within 10 miles an hour might help too:)

Welcome welcome

Have we met at all????

If not well I guess you had better come along to the next booze crooze... I must kick Frogg (@ Loco) into gear about a Xmas ride...

The extenders on the front are hand made/custom/ me made whatever ya want to call em, steel and a grinder!!

The mate made it on the last boozer (BFF block party) rode about 47km on the sucka... not in the current state but close..

Im a big sucka for these frames, and finding new ways to rat em is fun..

Looking forward to the next boozer, hopefully have both of them out ( a mate on massacre..)

Laterz from the Western Surburbs............

Hey cheers for the welcome, it's good to finally be able to see/hear a bit more of what's goin on out there. But yeah, I don't think we've met, although Froggy did mention Massacre to me when I first met him. I went on Booze Cruz 12 (???) which was cool, not many of us, but it was good to get to know a couple of the boys. And speaking of which, I've been trying to find out when the next one is on. Unfortunately I missed the last couple. So yeah, bring it on!

As far as the mods you've done, yeah man, good thinkin'. I've been trying to nut out ways of lowering/lengthening my ride, and that seemed like a cool little trick.

Anyway I'd better get back to work,

Peace from the East.

Next boozer is the 4th of Jan..
starting at the shop at midday
Heading through the city and along the yarra for a barby (if we can find one:)
then straight up hoddle st and back into Fitzroy ...

Yeah, the BMX theme was more of a necessity than anything else. I just wanted a cruiser that had a good ride height, nice full size cranks for speed, and the frames are built tough as. And yeah, if it gets knocked off, asides from losing a few bits and pieces, the frame isn't some 50 year old antique thing that is worth more than what it looks (not knocking those rare old bikes at all, I love 'em, it's just that a beautiful old car I once had got vandalised and I'm still grieving, so now it's ugly old Fords for me!)

P.S. I've done a bit more since I posted those photos, so I'll have to get on it and put a few more up!

well a big welcome to another aussie dint think i was the only one thank the lord for that .......if you got any questions give me a buzz im in grafton nsw ....i love the bikes on here i feel right at home and hope you do to drop me a message and well talk hope to hear from you soon

Back