Meet Virginia, Smooth Bahama Blaster, Lake Loafer, Pirate's Princess, Whiskey Girl

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Forty-eight year old bottom bracket, crank, and chainring off the '71 'Burban cleaned up nicely.
20190831_220556.jpg

20190831_220627.jpg

20190901_000224.jpg

Last edited:
A few more bits and pieces. Custom black cable ties;)
New nickel chain and super duty chain breaker.
Couple of "vintage" lights...may need to go back and get a second one for the front.
20190901_170535.jpg

Had to mount the headlight on my temporary test bike. Where, stylistically, it is a better fit.
20190901_173822.jpg

Will continue the search for a pair of appropriate headlights.

First time that I recall using a chain breaker.
Moved axle up as far as the brake tab would allow. Taking off eight links, down to 106.
15673802697241883885759.jpg

I had read good reviews about this HF chain breaker on the interweb. But this thing is a long, long, long way from a precision instrument. Driver wobbles in threads making it impossible to keep the push rod centered on the pin.
I'll be returning it and getting a Park or Shimano.

Love the look of this bike. The color is great. I really want to build a middleweight frame with a 26" BMX fork at some point.

Took'r down the road a bit.

Initial impressions.

70 PSI tires are pretty harsh off road. Will be getting bigger, more volumous, nobbier tires in the 2.2 to 2.4 range.
Schwalbe 2.0's will be going on the narrower 8-speed wheelset for on road only.

Need a seatpost with more layback. I'm sitting half off the back of the seat, and don't want to raise the seat more than an inch or two higher.

Needs better, more comfortable seat. Thinkin B67.

A little smaller chainring. 39 tooth in first gear is fairly easy pedaling up a low hill once I am rolling. But still a little high for taking off uphill.
Goes plenty fast in fourth gear.

This is mainly a cruiser. But I'd still like to optimize the 4-speed. @OddJob suggested a 36t way back when I first got this wheelset and I suspect that's a good place to be. Maybe even a touch smaller if I go 2.4 tires.
Will see what I can scrounge up that looks decent. Might be a good time to swap over to the Sierra's 3-piece crank.

Love the look of this bike. The color is great. I really want to build a middleweight frame with a 26" BMX fork at some point.
Thanks!
I like it too. And although the paint I laid down looked great initially, it is already taking a beating.

My first bike build since I was a kid, and I've learned a lot.
Did a lot of things out of order.

Can't say I wouldn't seriously consider powder coating if I had to do it over again.

I got another cruiser waiting in the wings. Old and rusty.
It'l get shot like I expect it to get dinged up. Either with red or black primer or a couple of garage sale cans of red caliper paint.

Got this
31IvAtH8KIL._AC_SY400_.jpg

And this
41wJplXkjYL._AC_SY400_.jpg

on the way.
Coming from a volumous current of water in South America.
My first Brooks. Was on sale for ninety-three twenty-seven with free shipping. So figured that was cheap enough to give it a try and see if the hype is real. And should be here tomorrow!

Seatpost might make it this week. Looks about double the layback from what I got now. And only 11.99!

The seat, seatpost, and lowering the tire pressure down to 50 ought to make this a comfy cruiser.

Dig the soon - to - arrive additions! With the Brooks, did you get their 'Proofhide' cream? If not, you can use other saddle creams as well. I would stay away from Bear Grease or the other heavy water proof applications. Doesn't soak in as well as the creams. Use more than they recommend. More is better in this case. Give the Brooks about 3 months of constant riding, and you'll be in the groove!

Moved axle up as far as the brake tab would allow. Taking off eight links, down to 106.
View attachment 103045
I had read good reviews about this HF chain breaker on the interweb. But this thing is a long, long, long way from a precision instrument. Driver wobbles in threads making it impossible to keep the push rod centered on the pin.
I picked up one of these chain breakers online over a year ago and like it a lot.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0179JC31I/ref=dp_prsubs_1
chain breaker 1.jpg
chain breaker 2.jpg

What I like most is the adjustable anvil portion opposite the part that pushes the pin out. Really precisely lines up the chain pin to be pushed out.:thumbsup:

Dig the soon - to - arrive additions! With the Brooks, did you get their 'Proofhide' cream? If not, you can use other saddle creams as well. I would stay away from Bear Grease or the other heavy water proof applications. Doesn't soak in as well as the creams. Use more than they recommend. More is better in this case. Give the Brooks about 3 months of constant riding, and you'll be in the groove!
No, I didn't get anything extra. Think I have some leather cream. And know I have some mink oil, which might be more similar to bear grease. Heard you could use baseball glove oil also, although I know it could cause an early death.

Wish I had gotten the bag.
Probably going to have to paint up a half rear fender now. Thinkin black and green or midnight blue metalic and green, just to give it a little more flair.

View attachment 103045

It's truly hard to beat a Park CT3. You'll never regret it.

The Brooks B67 didn't arrive yesterday, but should be here today.

And since the narrow Schwalbe Marathon 26x2.0 wasn't the all around tires that I had wanted for this bike, I decided to order some new shoes.

Business in the front. Needed something up front that would steer and not wash out so much on crushed rock roads. So I ordered the CST Rock Hawk 26x2.25. A super aggressive old school nobby.
61efWuFb+3L._AC_AA160_.jpg

And party in the rear.
Schwalbe Crazy Bob 26x2.35. I haven't noticed the traction issue so much in the back. But this tire ought to grip more than the Marathons in almost all conditions.
513CxGYqhdL._AC_AA160_.jpg

Maybe an odd match? Or maybe it'll be perfect.

Sadly, they won't make the deadline.

Latest posts

Back