(MBBO#05 Class 2) ★★★ ¡ʇdᴉɹɔs ǝɥʇ dᴉlℲ ★★★ (SOLD to finance exciting new venture!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hey! that build is not allowed to be on page 2 :shake:
any progress?
Weather down our way has been horrible lately so I don't think Luke would of been able to much, I know I haven't
Kel is right, weather has been less than average and my health has been bad too, so no progress.

Today is the first day in a while it has not been cold and raining so I did manage to get outside and get a rolling mock-up for you guys.

2016-10-05 16.39.44.jpg

2016-10-05 16.40.58.jpg

2016-10-05 16.40.21.jpg

2016-10-05 16.41.25.jpg

First time I have been able to get proper dimensions too:

Wheelbase: 122cm. (4 feet)
Total length: 178cm. (70")
Height at the back of the seat: 79cm. (31")

Looks good and the size feels right when I sit on it too, so very happy!
Hopefully I can get some progress happening soon.

Luke.

Come on Luke... Let some of the MBBO builder a chance !
:21:
Just trying to come up with new ideas!
Amazing work again ! The trike kit is pretty awesome.
Glad you are liking it! Hopefully the dual freewheel locking diff idea will get used more in the future! :thumbsup:

Luke.

Awesome!!! :113:

health issues =not so awesome:(

the 2part axle case holds good ?
i like the stance of it and that rear to seat panels almost make it look like a model A ford top
27-ford-model-a-365-days-630.jpg
:thumbsup:

the 2part axle case holds good ?
I didn't even think about that!

Only put three bolts in it too because it was only meant to be a mock up, but I was soon sitting on it and pretending to ride around! :eek:

Well, it held me with only 3 bolts in it, so I am calling it plenty strong enough! :21:

i like the stance of it and that rear to seat panels almost make it look like a model A ford top
27-ford-model-a-365-days-630.jpg
:thumbsup:
It does have that look! Very cool, thanks for pointing that out! :thumbsup:

Luke.

With the slant of the back end and the 'flat top' look to the whole thing, I could def see a bimini style top on this ride! Narrow, coming up from a rear brace, and fabric stretched over a light frame work. Sprayed with a hardener to make it stiff...a pop off jeep style top...

With the slant of the back end and the 'flat top' look to the whole thing, I could def see a bimini style top on this ride! Narrow, coming up from a rear brace, and fabric stretched over a light frame work. Sprayed with a hardener to make it stiff...a pop off jeep style top...
The problem is the height it would need to clear my head... I think it would look a bit silly, but I might take some measurements and mock it up in paint.net...
Thanks Kel!

Luke.

The problem is the height it would need to clear my head... I think it would look a bit silly, but I might take some measurements and mock it up in paint.net...

Luke.
ChopperTop.jpg

This is the minimum height it would have to be, not even sure my head would fit easy at that height.

It looks cool in a Munsters coach/T bucket hotrod sort of way, but I think it might be a bit too much, specially from the front or rear with the fairly narrow wheel track.

Luke.

Thanks Kel!

Luke.
Chopper top. They are the new thing.. I think you could run it a bit longer and taper to match the frame.. I'd say more Adams then Munsters... Barris did Munsters Roth was commissioned for Adams family.

It's definitely lurches hot rod.
Edit* I'd just put some forward lean on the back of it more like a Carson top.. cheat that in motion look

Last edited:
Chopper top. They are the new thing.. I think you could run it a bit longer and taper to match the frame.. I'd say more Adams then Munsters... Barris did Munsters Roth was commissioned for Adams family.

It's definitely lurches hot rod.
Edit* I'd just put some forward lean on the back of it more like a Carson top.. cheat that in motion look
Yeah. That's IT! And, I was thinking narrow width and an extreme angle to a point, or a short squared front.

You guys are just not going to let this go are you? :21:
Your correct, it was Addams family I was thinking of, got mixed up!

I have worked out a way it could be mounted and have drawn up some designs that could work, but I am not planning on doing it just yet, will see how I go for time...
This is one cool looking beast Luke. I have no idea how you can beat Pedro but you are on the way so far.
way cool, Luke :thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thanks Guys! :thumbsup:

Today was the first day with good weather for a while, but I had some work to do on my Datsun, so the F.T.S. trike missed out.
Busy tomorrow too, but feeling hopeful about Saturday!

Time to knock out some progress now that I know all the dimensions work and the rolling mock-up showed no issues.
:aggressive:

Luke.

The build is looking great, Luke. The top is a no in my book. The problem is size and until you posted the measurements, I thought the bike was bigger. I'm not sure folks can tell but the 4 ft wheelbase should give them an idea. Right now the bike has beef, muscle and brute strength. Let's put a flimsy top on it NOT. A top big enough would be overwhelming and look like an afterthought if it didn't flow just right.

Carl.

The build is looking great, Luke. The top is a no in my book. The problem is size and until you posted the measurements, I thought the bike was bigger. I'm not sure folks can tell but the 4 ft wheelbase should give them an idea. Right now the bike has beef, muscle and brute strength. Let's put a flimsy top on it NOT. A top big enough would be overwhelming and look like an afterthought if it didn't flow just right.

Carl.

^+1

What I want to see is how you're going to float a skateboard banana on it...

Carl.:banana:
The wooden seat base will fit into the recess on the top of the frame:

2016-09-14 17.13.56.jpg

Carl.
Maybe I should get a pic with me sitting on it and then use that for size reference.

Luke.

The wooden seat base will fit into the recess on the top of the frame:

View attachment 35270

Maybe I should get a pic with me sitting on it and then use that for size reference.

Luke.
Looks like plenty of room for padding, should be a comfy seat.
I too vote no canopy. Think about this, if you have a canopy and you're out riding. What happens to you and the bike if a strong Antarctic wind comes up? :blackeye:

Worse case scenario I know, but....

Back