(MBBO#04 Class 2) PEDRO. (PEDRO GOT A NEW OWNER!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe you could tuck them partially under the seat instead of directly off of the back. I'm sure that with your metal stills that you could transition the horizontal tubing for the lights into the curved bottom seat rails.
Thought about that, but I am just in love with how they will look stacked on the back...

Here is a mock up of both lights side by side down low on the seat:

22518723805_663a15e1c4_z.jpg

Here is a mock up with the lights stacked on the back of the seat with the current mounts, I have taken to calling this mock up "The Batmobile..." Imagine it all done in the metalflake, wheel centres painted grey with chrome trims...

22505280702_bdd7579d20_z.jpg

There is no doubt that if it goes over backwards they will be damaged, but with the new lower handle bars that is far more unlikely at least...

Is it worth the risk? It looks like if they are damaged it would only be the lenses which are available separately and reasonably cheap compared with the bases...

Luke.

I don't know if you're familiar with the west virginia legend of the mothman, or the native american thunderbird.
I'm sure Australia has something similar, any way the side by side lights look like the." glowing red eyes" of mothman. Anyway, enough." mythology"

Personally, I like the over under look.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like em low side by side . . . is there a headlight coming as well?

I like both, but I think I am digging the batmobile stacked flames better.
There is nothing subtle about this bike, and I think the stacked flames just add to the whole Big Daddy cartoonish monster vibe I get from this cool freak show.

Thanks for all your thoughts people!
I am still undecided on them and this:
I see all that real estate above them for a mural/pinstriping.
Has really thrown a spanner in my thoughts! Pin-stripes! :praise:
Now I am half thinking I don't want the lights at all, just stripe the whole panel!

Maybe the answer is to just put one light down low and stripe the rest, still thinking... The other thing is what Old Scool said, if you have tail-lights you really should have a headlight, I do have a headlight put aside for this build, but I have not even begun to think about where to mount it... :doh:

Thinking, thinking, thinking... :39:

But...

In the meantime, there is other stuff I can be doing!

Today's progress:
Remove and smooth the fork brake bosses:

22350724568_656e7ae9f3_z.jpg

Add a cable guide for the brake, I used a piece off a door hinge, I think is was @blown240 who did this originally and I loved the idea:

22511513546_5c01100228_z.jpg

Then on to mounting up a chainguard, I originally was not going to have one, but with the super wide bottom bracket the leg holes of your jeans (or overalls in my case) actually try to completely encase the chainwheel on the downstroke, it was not an issue seeing as that chainwheel had the plastic bashguard, but I didn't want to leave that plastic on there, so, time to fit a chainguard! Started with the front mount:

22537509525_01b7f95df7_z.jpg

Then on to the rear mount, added some nice curve to it and some speed holes to match the dropouts:

22350682249_c92bb54821_z.jpg

Done!:

22350687969_2c601ce44b_z.jpg

As the bike currently sits awaiting the decision regarding lights:

21916313743_8e20baf47e_z.jpg

Still have to do the wood base for the seat, but other than that it is really close to being ready for paint! :rockout:

Luke.

Is your cable temporarily hung at the moment? I imagine it flowing more along the top tube of the bike. The chain guard fits ....even drew my eye to the chain ring which I now notice has those big holes that match the front wheel nicely. :nod:

Is your cable temporarily hung at the moment? I imagine it flowing more along the top tube of the bike. The chain guard fits ....even drew my eye to the chain ring which I now notice has those big holes that match the front wheel nicely. :nod:
Yep, that cable was just a temporary fitment until I fit the new one. The new one will run under the front of the seat and follow the canti bar along that side.
Glad you like the chainring and guard, pretty sure this is the first time I have run a chainguard on any of my bikes!

Luke.

"...on to mounting up a chainguard, I originally was not going to have one, but with the super wide bottom bracket the leg holes of your jeans (or overalls in my case) actually try to completely encase the chainwheel on the downstroke."

Luke.
Form follows function. A+

The chain guard looks great. I like the side by side lights. It looks great with no lights to. Not a bike that needs a lot of decoration I think.

You guys are making it hard to decide! :bigsmile:

My wife has a good designers eye, so we had a talk about it last night and she said that the pinstripes may be too much considering the patterned material going on the seat...

Oh... I never showed a pic of the material did I? :bandit: :21:

Here you go...

22560327495_b8b9ab928c_z.jpg

22534338856_38131d2731_z.jpg

I agree with her, unless the stripes matched the pattern some how, it would be too much going on.

So, now my choices have changed to lights or no lights?
Thinking I will tack the mounts to the back of the seat, mount the lights to them and step back for a proper view... Then I can make the decision.

Luke.

Edit: Now you can see why I picked the Holo Green flake! It flips between the green, the gold, the yellow, the orange and the black. It really matches all the colours spot on!

You guys are making it hard to decide! :bigsmile:

My wife has a good designers eye, so we had a talk about it last night and she said that the pinstripes may be too much considering the patterned material going on the seat...

Oh... I never showed a pic of the material did I? :bandit: :21:

Here you go...

22560327495_b8b9ab928c_z.jpg

22534338856_38131d2731_z.jpg

I agree with her, unless the stripes matched the pattern some how, it would be too much going on.

So, now my choices have changed to lights or no lights?
Thinking I will tack the mounts to the back of the seat, mount the lights to them and step back for a proper view... Then I can make the decision.

Luke.

Edit: Now you can see why I picked the Holo Green flake! It flips between the green, the gold, the yellow, the orange and the black. It really matches all the colours spot on!
That seat material is so southwest united states of you. Have you been at the airport lately, it reminds me of my old parka. Dig it. :thumbsup:

Back