(MBBO#04 Class 1) College Drop Out - TCB Weekend

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow glad to see you joining it. Love your style gowjobs. Love the attitude on that little Ross. + the smack talking..:21:

Can't wait to see how you do this old Schwinn up with some of your magic. I want to do one of those rims like your front sometime.
There are a couple of 26x2.00 Thickslicks laying around my garage, and if I can squeeze one between the stays on this Collegiate frame, then my plan is to put a 700-25C Thickslick in the front. If not, maybe she'll get whitewalls or something. I'm really sort of stoked on the rear hub - '70s vintage Shimano Coaster.

Doggone it. Looks like the spoke length calculator i used has an error in straight-laced spoke length calculations. Because of this, my 4-cross side on the rear wheel is fine, but the other side, and all of the spokes for my front wheel are long enough to do a two-cross wheel - about 1/2" too long to be laced radially. Ugh.

Okay - got the right length spokes today (or close enough), and laced up the rear wheel. Thankfully, it looks like the thickslick will fit without having to spread the frame.

I had this old alloy fender laying in the "someday" stack. Maybe with a bob, it could make the cut. (pun intended)

EDIT: Yes, that hunk of pipe is still in the seat tube. Shut up.

That alloy fender matches up with the rear rim nicely! And...I thought that hunk of pipe was for mounting in your work stand.....;)

Love, love, love the camelback frames. Keep drowning that post with lube--I use 50/50 acetone & ATF. You may have to sacrifice the post-pipe to save that gorgeous frame. I wouldn't hesitate to cross-drill the offender to wedge in a piece of bar stock for leverage.

Love, love, love the camelback frames. Keep drowning that post with lube--I use 50/50 acetone & ATF. You may have to sacrifice the post-pipe to save that gorgeous frame. I wouldn't hesitate to cross-drill the offender to wedge in a piece of bar stock for leverage.
I'm on it. Just need a little better grip, and I think it'll pull free.

I'm on it. Just need a little better grip, and I think it'll pull free.
At the shop I worked at we used to clamp the post in a bench vise with the bike upside down, then grab the frame and twist. If it slips, put a really heavy grit paper on the jaws of the vise and then clamp it in. When it loosens, gravity will take over and the frame will start to move down.

At the shop I worked at we used to clamp the post in a bench vise with the bike upside down, then grab the frame and twist. If it slips, put a really heavy grit paper on the jaws of the vise and then clamp it in. When it loosens, gravity will take over and the frame will start to move down.
Yeah, The vice in the garage is ancient, and has enough slop in it that the jaws deflect when I start twisting, even with the jaws tightened down enough to start crushing the pipe. It stays around for sentimental reasons at this point - my dad fixed a lot of race boats using that old vice, back in the day.
I need to take it over to my brother's shop and use a real vice, and I'm sure we can get it out of there.

I did a little maintenance/tune up on the vice, and got that pipe stub removed. This gave me the chance to try out my banana seat, sissy bar and Slowriders stainless layback seatpost:

I tried out my Honda six-bend chopper bars. I think they may get cut and rewelded together with about three inches less width.

Those bars are wild! 6 bends you say? Up here in the northland we have a word for that...Uffda! The bike has a sleek look to it, your "narrowing" job sounds like a good fit.

While I was at it, I also stripped the anodizing and polished the front rim, and then I chiseled off the cable guides on the downtube, and ground away the remaining nubs.

Back