Malvern Star 2 Speed Hipster (More photos up)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm sorry to swan back in here after so long (and never having contributed that much in the first place) with a hipster build. But I'm so stoked about getting this bike together I can't wait to share it.

We start with a 21st gift from my girlfriend.

P1000652.jpg

Malvern Star Skidstar frame, blissfully so far from showroom condition that I can do whatever I want with it.

So I stripped it back with a wire brush on an angle grinder, took off all the unnecessary braze ons, primed, and spent weeks layering on coat after coat of Rust Guard Epoxy Enamel. (I dropped the frame the other day, not a scratch, this paint cures HARD.)

P1010560.jpg

Time to start piecing it together.

P1010562.jpg

Headset, stem and bars on, all genuine hipster parts. Starting to take shape. I laughed out loud the first time a stepped back and looked at this thing together. So much planning and talking about these two grey bits of metal hanging around the back yard.

P1010563.jpg

A quick spray of the headbadge, and then it just snapped right back in place, too easy.

My bottom bracket tool arrived the other day, so I could finally get the cranks on.

P1010565.jpg

P1010564.jpg

I've got the rear wheel all laced up, saving the wheels up as a bit of a surprise. There will be more to come very shortly.

Stay tuned.

Re: Malvern Star 2 Speed Hipster (Warning, credit rod content)

So far you get a full score on my hipster chart for the sugino mesengers and the major taylor drops, Are you getting some Oury grips and a top tube pas aswell? :D

For the wheels im guessing deep V's

The ourys won't be making an appearance, as much as I like them. At first I was planning on a top tube pad, but i figured it'd interrupt the flow of the frame. The best is yet to come though.

Here's a sneak peek at the rear wheel.
P1010569.jpg

Sweet new hub. I want to try one of those out myself. Skinny tire cruiser are cool.

Na I bought the hub from AEbike.com, not too pricey really. And now's the time to order, before the AUD drops again.

I have a cheap taiwanese KT 2 speed hub from my 3g sitting around, which I was originally going to buld into this bike. Turned out the hub was about twenty mil wider than the rear dropouts. I haven't tried the new sturmey one yet, but the KT was a lot of fun.

Cool build man, looking very good.
Where can I see more of the green bike at the back?

I'll have to take some photos of it, throw it in the free bikes thread. Might get time monday.

this is coming out nice.

Definitely like what I see so far! 8)

Loving it so far. I was keen on that Skidstar frame on ebay a while back but ultimately decided I didnt want to throw the kind of money on parts that it deserved :? Cant wait to see how it comes out 8)

Made a lot of progress today, grips on, rear sprocket and tyre on, touched up the enamel on a fluted ITM seatpost for extra hipster points.

Forgot to take any photos though.

I'll take some more teasers as soon as I can.

My missus found this one on gumtree, but if you just search "Malvern Star" on ebay then they often turn up for not too much. I've seen the original seat go for more than whole skidstars before, ebay's a weird place.

Taken me a while to get pictures taken, been too busyriding this thing.

Here's a shot of the seatpost and saddle. The saddle is extra comfy, not in a cushy way, I just don't even notice it's there.
P1010571.jpg

The front hub took forever to rock up in the mail. I was sitting around for days with a rim and some spokes waiting to build the front wheel.
P1010573.jpg

Then here it is all together.
P1010577.jpg

I'd like to have handlebars like that in black. nice bike btw.

can we get some side shots? :wink:

Latest posts

Back