Made me some ape hangers yesterday

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yoothgeye

I build stuff.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
So I've been wanting a tall set of ape hangers, decided I'd just build my own, but out of what? On a trash pick-up morning I found someone's old rowing exercise machine. The "oars" were long chrome tubes, nearly same diameter as handlebars. One end was bent at a 90 degree angle on each side, these will be perfect! So yesterday afternoon I cut a set of old turn down road bars, then cut the rowing oars to size, slid a piece of black iron gas pipe in the ends as a sleeve and welded up. Turned out pretty decent! After this photo I cut the handles about 3 inches shorter and put on some old grips (the bike in the photo was just one I grabbed from the pile for mock-up.

0308121750.jpg

i cant belive no body has poste the pic of the guy ridint the harley down the interstate with the giant apes ...!!
those r pretty cool man!!! i dig em :mrgreen:

Now get a picture of you trying to reach the bars while sitting on the seat,lol

chimichanga said:
Flip them upside down for a sweet boardtrack look! :D those are so bad butt man. Good job!

This made me laugh out loud... at almost 1:30am with the wife and 3 kids asleep in the house.

yearz said:
Now get a picture of you trying to reach the bars while sitting on the seat,lol

Once I put them on the right bike you'll see that they look crazy, but aren't too bad. When mocking up I sat on the seat on that Huffy (yeah, sit carefully) and the reach isn't bad at all with the seat slammed. I made these for my '56 JC Higgins tank bike, should be a rider soon now.

As for putting them on the tall bike... no. :lol:

deorman said:
Best use a really good stem. :wink:

Probably just gonna leave the rust Wald stem on them that was on the Huffy when I built them, this will be on a slow cruising bike, so I don't think I need to concern myself too much with it.

Latest posts

Back